Harbor Pollock as bait?

Rate this topic

It's been a rough year for the Mackerel and I but the relationship is getting better. Earlier in the year any macks I picked up were tight to the bottom with the pollock. The pollock didn't mind taking a bite of Sabiki but overboard they went.

I'm really just wondering why so many people don't use the pollock alive or chunked as bait. I'm going out tomorrow and i think I going grab a couple and run over to the mouth of the river to see what happens. If you can't find macks do you fish the pollock? 

14 mins ago, Two Rock said:

Sure why not they work just fine, they just don’t last very long on the hook in my experience 

they tend to swim downward after you hook 'em................

They aren’t great live bait since they die very easily in the live well and don’t swim well on a hook. Don’t see why they wouldn’t work as a chunk, though. 

1 hour ago, planter said:

It's been a rough year for the Mackerel and I but the relationship is getting better. Earlier in the year any macks I picked up were tight to the bottom with the pollock. The pollock didn't mind taking a bite of Sabiki but overboard they went.

I'm really just wondering why so many people don't use the pollock alive or chunked as bait. I'm going out tomorrow and i think I going grab a couple and run over to the mouth of the river to see what happens. If you can't find macks do you fish the pollock? 

Planter they will work alive or dead , whole or in chunks . IN another time when the mackerel where scare they made up for some good bait. They will be a little softer then Blue Bullets , but if you keep them on freezer packs you will do fine. That is if the bass are around where you fish them  Peace and Prayers 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

3 hours ago, planter said:

The River? The Merrimack right? Head over To Rockport. Thatchers Island and south will have macks. 

19 hours ago, The Riddler said:

The River? The Merrimack right? Head over To Rockport. Thatchers Island and south will have macks. 

They're out deep right now.  I've found them on Jeffreys, Kettle ledge, and Saturday Night ledge. Tried multiple times in Gloucester harbor and only managed one little one.

Edited by d3souz4