Why is the other point dangerous?

Rate this topic

I was reading some posts about the point and how it is dangerous even the older M guys says O is too dangerous. I went out there and didn’t have the balls to walk through the bar because of what others have said and my light died. I got skunked that trip but still alive. What is the danger of walking out there? If I am using my rod as a walking stick I’m good right or will I fall through some rocks/sand and drown? 

3 hours ago, LowEnd said:

The rip tides there are insane.

You will get pulled out and be lucky to get rescued by a boat.

Bunch of stories about this.

Insane as in sweep me off my feet? I only heard of riptides being dangerous for swimmers.

2 hours ago, Cascade said:

Working the tides /current wrong is like Russian roulette

/

What do you mean by it being like Russian roulette. Could you please elaborate on that? Russian roulette as in 1 wrong step or Russian roulette as in getting caught by a tide on the wrong day?

Insane like sweep you off your feet, yes!  It’s a very dangerous spot, only recommended for experienced, knowledgeable surf casters.  Definitely don’t go it alone.  I’d only go with someone familiar with the spot.    How tall are you?  High water will be up pretty high for anyone  vertically challenged. I’m not an expert, nor do I know all the ins and outs of fishing that spot, but I have fished it and it is not to be trifled with. Wetsuitis a must, ziplock bag under your hat to keep things dry if necessary.  Be sure someone knows you waded out there.  And keep your eyes out for sharks, They like that spot too.  It’s a hardcore spot.  

Edited by Soundbound

10 hours ago, BengaliFisher said:

Insane as in sweep me off my feet? I only heard of riptides being dangerous for swimmers.

I have no idea of where your talking about, but they (rips)can pull u right off your feet.   

A cubic foot of water weighs almost 63lbs.    

Even the most innocent looking area can produce current that will take you for a ride....let alone places like O.  Dont take warnings lightly.

There is also potential that any place close to shore can produce current that a human cannot overcome even with dive fins. Some places it can be conditional...and that is what makes it the most dangerous.

16 hours ago, BengaliFisher said:

What is the danger of walking out there? If I am using my rod as a walking stick I’m good right or will I fall through some rocks/sand and drown? 

The danger is if you were to find yourself off the shallow bar and in the overhead water on the sides and in the current Michael Phelps could not reasonably swim back to against the current.  That situation could easily happen if you were to say, trip, walking.  Before you could right yourself you would be in a situation you could not get yourself out of without outside intervention (help).  There are lots of spots on LI where this is the case.  That includes any South Shore inlet, the north side of Montauk and North Shore spots with a bar at the mouth of an inlet.  People have died fishing in many of these places.  You do not have “rip tides” there what so ever.  You have current as a result of tides every day.  Rip currents occur on beaches and are formed by wind and tide and are there one day and gone tomorrow and dangerous for the same reason, they pull you out into an ocean, you cant swim against them, and many people panic and then drown in them.  Safety and danger are related to personal perception and local knowledge.  If you have appropriate gear, do a lot of homework, are generally competent and a strong swimmer could you reasonably fish there?  Yes and people do.  Could you also be so well equipped mentally and physically and have bad things happen and get yourself into a situation you could not yourself get out of?  Yes.  Ask LW.  Its a good story.

12 hours ago, Soundbound said:

Insane like sweep you off your feet, yes!  It’s a very dangerous spot, only recommended for experienced, knowledgeable surf casters.  Definitely don’t go it alone.  I’d only go with someone familiar with the spot.    How tall are you?  High water will be up pretty high for anyone  vertically challenged. I’m not an expert, nor do I know all the ins and outs of fishing that spot, but I have fished it and it is not to be trifled with. Wetsuitis a must, ziplock bag under your hat to keep things dry if necessary.  Be sure someone knows you waded out there.  And keep your eyes out for sharks, They like that spot too.  It’s a hardcore spot.  

Yep a little bit too hardcore for me. Will probably stick to the south shore after all these warnings. 

12 hours ago, gellfex said:

The Gut is a dangerous waterway that has claimed hundreds of ships, never mind overly confident fishermen. Treat it like a river that flashfloods 2x a day. 

Yeah I do not want to play with those stats