Upper Chesapeake

Rate this topic

Bogey

I’m writing  this towards the end of my annual trip to the upper Chesapeake bay. As we all know it is the largest of it’s type in the USA and perhaps the world and it’s the birthplace of about 80 % of the striped bass that patrol the north east beaches.

This is my thirteenth such trip and it may be my last, why because its no longer worth the trip for fishing. A friend, an experienced fisherman was out in the 100 degree heat for seven hours his bag, no rockfish, no white perch, one skate, one catfish, five spot.

As short a time as several years ago this area, Cape St Claire, was teaming with fishing and crabbing boats. I’ve been here eight days and I can count the number on one hand. Even down by the bay bridge I see nobody.

After seeing years and years of declining rockfish spawn Maryland has finally attacked with new  regulations for fisherman ignoring the real culprits chicken farms and industrial waste.

Finally for years the Ospreys would nest to reproduce around late June, early July. There were nests in every tree, on every navigational aid and every high place, not this year.

This looks like the beginning of end. I hope I’m wrong, I hope this is just a bad year.

lol why would you schedule your northern bay trip for striper during the worst time of year to target them? At least chase something worth while like drum or cobia.

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

1 hour ago, ASrod said:

lol why would you schedule your northern bay trip for striper during the worst time of year to target them? At least chase something worth while like drum or cobia.

Exactly. Locals don't fool with Rock during the summer, horrible for the fishery.

I did I didn’t make myself clear. I do not make this trip for fishing alone. I have fish for and court stripers jigging by the bridge at this time of year, but it’s not my main purpose of my complaint. I don’t see anybody fishing compared to prior years it’s very very obvious, secondly there are very few osprey in the bay compared to prior years. It’s like a ghost town what I was trying to say is that something is wrong to see no fisherman with you used to see many, including the birds.

6 hours ago, Bogey said:

I’m writing  this towards the end of my annual trip to the upper Chesapeake bay. As we all know it is the largest of it’s type in the USA and perhaps the world and it’s the birthplace of about 80 % of the striped bass that patrol the north east beaches.

This is my thirteenth such trip and it may be my last, why because its no longer worth the trip for fishing. A friend, an experienced fisherman was out in the 100 degree heat for seven hours his bag, no rockfish, no white perch, one skate, one catfish, five spot.

As short a time as several years ago this area, Cape St Claire, was teaming with fishing and crabbing boats. I’ve been here eight days and I can count the number on one hand. Even down by the bay bridge I see nobody.

After seeing years and years of declining rockfish spawn Maryland has finally attacked with new  regulations for fisherman ignoring the real culprits chicken farms and industrial waste.

Finally for years the Ospreys would nest to reproduce around late June, early July. There were nests in every tree, on every navigational aid and every high place, not this year.

This looks like the beginning of end. I hope I’m wrong, I hope this is just a bad year.

This is true and it's very sad

I will say this. The fish have moved from their more traditional haunts this time of year. The weather definitely didn’t help your fishing success either. On a more positive note Northern snakehead are plentiful and delicious. They are my new main target species until the stripers make a come back.