Arborists!

Rate this topic

Hoping someone can help out a little here, we had a large tree (some sort of poplar I think) trimmed a few years ago and all these sprouts started popping up around our yard and the neighbors yard in the sand. Last fall we had the entire tree removed which we knew might present more sprouting issues, which weren’t too bad until the last month. All of a sudden we are overrun with sprouts from the leftover roots of this tree. I had drilled holes in the stump initially and kept pouring epsom salt in them, based on a recommendation from the guy that took the tree down. Short of calling in an excavator to dig everything up, does anyone know of any ways to kill this root system?

mare liberum

2 mins ago, DerrickT said:

That's good to know, we use to get it at radio shack back in the day

I have used it around the sewer lines at my apartment building.

14 mins ago, DerrickT said:

Copper Sulfate if you can find any

So basically just dump it in the holes like the epsom salt? I was thinking about drilling holes in the feeder roots too. It’s really taking over, we have a guy coming to spray it but I know that’s only going to kill the foliage. I thought if I could stay on top of the foliage the roots wouldn’t have anyway to get fed, but it just took off over the last couple weeks. 

mare liberum

5 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

So that’s what his face looks like 

Don't be laffin , he took out John Denver with that thing ..

"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end -- which you can never afford to loose -- with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they may be .."

3 mins ago, BLilly said:

Take a pic of the sprouts and leaves. Poplars don't usually resprout like crazy in the way you're describing. 

Will do, it had all these large (4”) caterpillar looking (buds?, seedpods?) that used to fall off of it in the spring, and the leaves were kind of fuzzy. I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow.

mare liberum