Fishing Report & Shark Sighting

Rate this topic

I have been out every day for almost two weeks in the Harpswell area.  Fishing from a boat and concentrating mostly hitting the ledges with artificials.  Best results are had when the lure lands right in the foam - bounce 'em off the ledges close.   It takes careful boat work and confidence in your outboard.  We had OK action boating 4-12 fish every trip, but most of them were over the slot, so it was very fun.  We couldn't break the 40" mark, but I'll take a fat 36 any day.  A couple of times we had huge schools of stripers follow the lure to the boat, but they were very picky.   I had a large school of very big stripers swim right under the boat one day, but I couldn't get them to hit.  These were 40" plus fish and a lot of them.  I had never seen this before.   We did catch some fish with sea lice which makes me think that fish are still arriving in the area.

I had a cool encounter with an ocean sunfish (mola)  as you can see from the attached photo.   Crazy looking beast.

Now, the shark story.  A friend of mine who is a guide was out catching macs for bait in the fog on Friday morning.  He looked down and a great white was swimming along right next to his boat.  He guesses that it was between 10-12 feet and it stayed alongside for a couple of boat lenghts of trolling.  He hooked some macs and the shark spun around fast.  He reeled those macs in fast as he didn't want to loose his gear.  My wife put her paddle board away after this report.

How they bittin' for everyone else?

20240703_101928.jpg

Those sunfish sure look bizarre to me..

Folks would say yer wifey has a really small chance of getting attacked by a shark… personally wouldn’t roll those dice. hard to forget the woman in Harpswell a few years ago..

2 hours ago, celticpiping said:

Those sunfish sure look bizarre to me..

Folks would say yer wifey has a really small chance of getting attacked by a shark… personally wouldn’t roll those dice. hard to forget the woman in Harpswell a few years ago..

The woman who was killed was a member of our yacht club.  Their mooring is right next to mine.   Brings it even closer to home...

3 hours ago, Nbourque said:

Been slow for me. I haven’t caught a fish all season. I did watch a guy land a 47” fish the other day off the beach. 

Did you have a line out too?

Definitely gotta work for them this season.

Edited by Skunkoff

2 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Frustrating, ain't it?

Bout as frustrating as last year haha. I’m on vacation this week so I’ll keep at it. Bound to bump into a big fish at some point right?

1 hour ago, Nbourque said:

Bout as frustrating as last year haha. I’m on vacation this week so I’ll keep at it. Bound to bump into a big fish at some point right?

Here's hoping.  Giving it another go on Friday.  Night fishing a couple days ago was unproductive.  Fish surfacing after midnight but weren't interested in anything I threw.