Kodiak Bear vs 10mm

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Dropped it! :clap:  From 12' away! 

IMG_3998.webp

That bear is just sleeping...

Now what?

You have 1500 pounds of dead weight to deal with, and no village to help you. Can't just leave a rug, and all of that stew for the coyotes...how does one deal with that?

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

1 hour ago, dena said:

Now what?

You have 1500 pounds of dead weight to deal with, and no village to help you. Can't just leave a rug, and all of that stew for the coyotes...how does one deal with that?

Bearer boys , what else.

1 hour ago, dena said:

Now what?

In Pa you have to haul your bear in whole to a state game  weigh station ,

register it ,

and fill out paperwork …..

Edited by The river

Was he hunting giant bears with a pistol? Or is there some kind of self defense thing going on here? Just because you can beat a deer to death with a baseball bat doesn’t mean use should hunt them with baseball bats :read: 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, The river said:

In Pa you have to haul your bear in whole to a state game  weigh station ,

register it ,

and fill out paperwork …..

I think you can make other arrangements if you contact the PGC with a real big one.  I've been to the check station many times. 

3 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Bear hunting is almost as lame and gay as big cat hunting, which is the lamest, gayest form of uncanned hunt. Extra super gay if you tree the cats with dogs. I'm rooting for the cat. Every time.

You ever hunt bear in PA?  What makes that any more lame than hunting deer?  Except that the chances of success are only 2%.?   

3 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Bear hunting is almost as lame and gay as big cat hunting, which is the lamest, gayest form of uncanned hunt. Extra super gay if you tree the cats with dogs. I'm rooting for the cat. Every time.

Agreed, unless it's a nuisance/problem critter or the population needs controlling, I'm not crazy about bear or big cat hunting. But I'm not opposed to people doing it ethically and respectfully if they choose to do it - going after a 3/4 ton bear with a 10mm handgun doesn't seem like it meets that standard. Only way I'm rooting for the dude in that scenario is if it's self defense and he had no alternative. And in big cat hunting, I'm also rooting for the cat, every time :) Same with elephants. 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Just now, Mummichog said:

You ever hunt bear in PA?  What makes that any more lame than hunting deer?  Except that the chances of success are only 2%.?   

No, we have plenty here. What makes it different is that it's primarily trophy hunting. I have no issue with meat hunting but I don't know anyone who eats bear, out of many deer hunters. And I'm fine with it's legality, it's just not something I would ever do.