RI Fish Report Blog, July 8 - July 14

Rate this topic

The Rhode Island Fish Blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity.

Having this information rightly available in one weekly thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters with a fishing rod.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports and comments.   

This is the seventh year for this unique approach. Please post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all share this information.  

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have for better fishing tomorrow.

IMG_1494.JPG

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

Ground out a couple in the lower bay last nite. One was a mid slot fish on mag darter. Biggest challenge was finding clear spots in all the suspended weed. Had to clean off a lot of casts. No visible bait but later I went inside a salt pond and it was loaded with tiny rainbait (anchovies?). Nothing much hitting it.

Pfantum Pfishah

2 hours ago, bdowning said:

^^Shockingly I haven't caught a sea Robin all season. They are almost always an unwanted bycatch but not this year.

Come to think of it me either... Guess the lack of bait helped......:headscratch:

In previous years in the bay, at certain locations, you cannot get a plug past them.  Top water is your only bet and they will take shots but cannot seem to get it.

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

Believe it or not I once witnessed a sea robin blitz, we were albie fishing and in tight at Naps. and the sea robins were feeding on top and hitting tins.

It was crazy.

I remember three years ago off Blue Shutter's there was all kinds of bait staging close to shore. 

Everyone was catching, both shore and boat. It would move back and forth along the beach for a few hours. 

What was spectacular, you could catch everything all in one place.

In close to shore where the water was a little sandy was stripers, bluefish, shad, sea robins all over the surface.  

Go a quarter mile from shore were albies and bonito mixed in together. 

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek

5 hours ago, Kooky said:

In previous years in the bay, at certain locations, you cannot get a plug past them.  Top water is your only bet and they will take shots but cannot seem to get it.

They’re usually all over the west bay on the backside of any sandbar with current. The robins are typically ravenous this time of year—maybe a week or two later—even boiling on top, but I’ve yet to see one.

On the bass front (honestly bycatch at this point), really weird few day fishing.  Had a guy and his old lady saunter down the fisherman’s ladder later in the AM for an impromptu pencil popper photo shoot(?) and watched helplessly as a bay boat almost careened into the rock pile in the fog.

Tried to build some good karma and picked up a bakers dozen of Mylar balloons and kites off the reef but fishing was slow. No bait visible but saw a couple fish hunting the edges. Hooked into a smaller bass between the outer and inner reef and learned my blood knots need some (a lot of) work. Broke off right at the tippet knot.

IMG_3584.jpeg.94182daae3a869c4034da6a38f31d5c5.jpeg

10 hours ago, fishfinder401 said:

I have fp7nd 2 sea robins these past few weeks  but less than normal, did see ehat appeared to be a very large bass feading around a floating dock in daylight this weekend though

as MOST OF YOU KNOW i DON,T GET OUT MUCH ANYMORE BECAUSE OF HEALTH & THE NEED OF A BABYSITTER .   damn sorry for the caps /also physically  I can,t  go out in the H&H    so to say I, m locked up is  easy .. when we did get out so did the wind  .. one trip for small fluke / 6 sea robins  .. the guy with me to took 3 home to make fish tockos   [sp]    use to for bait  

next trip again wind . tried drifing for fluke .ZERO   like evryone  else we saw .. decided to catching something . so we moved to Scup fish & he hoped Sea robins ... got some Scup   not one  other fish of any kind .. 

outboard  in its fifth season  and is only around 160 Hours ><>

Out front last night in the fog with lots of whitewater for a skunk. In years past these conditions would have yielded around a half dozen schoolies at worst, and the chance for a large fish with good numbers of schoolies/slots at best. I did see two boats working the area as well, so maybe they were marking some fish? Couldn't see if they landed anything because the fog was so dense. Treacherous season continues.... 

Tiny bait on the flats translated into tiny bass this morning. More opaque than anchovies but smaller than the juvy herring I’ve seen around so not sure what the bait was but all the bass seemed to be feeding above or around “tailing” horseshoe crabs so I assume some buggy offerings were in the  mix.