Bait Attractants

Rate this topic

LI_Angler

Does anyone use bait attractants and are they effective? I fish exclusively lures - bucktails, diamond jigs, spoons, various poppers, pencils, twitch baits, soft plastics, etc. for stripers and blues. There are a variety of attractant products out there and I am wondering if I would see any benefit.  Is this a marketing ploy or can it really make a difference. Looking for some opinions on this. 

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."   -- A.K. Best --

I've used the eel scent Smelly Jelly before on soft plastics and needlefish. Never really felt like it made a big difference but they definitely still hit it. Maybe they might hold on to the soft plastic longer with the stuff? 

No excuses, go fishing.

It seems to make a difference when I've used it on soft plastics for speckled trout in the sound.  It hasn't seemed to make any difference surfcasting from the beach.

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

It deepens on the species of fish, Blue fin tuna or pike it make very little difference for they are reaction feeders, stripe bass, cod, haddock they are both reaction and scent driven, Catfish and eels feed entirely on scent.