Leader wallets these days

Rate this topic

Just now, marty_mccarty said:

These could be good options, thanks

On 7/8/2024 at 6:15 AM, Camhabib said:

Stasher makes reusable silicone zip lock bags that have been working great for me. Can even attach them by carabiner, though I just stuff mine in the pocket of my surf bag. Slip one of those elastics for kids braces to keep the leaders from getting tangled or just throw them all in and remove carefully. 

11 mins ago, PeteA said:

I duct taped a few small heavy duty ziplock bags together. I added a couple small zip ties to the bottom. So, I guess not totally waterproof for wet suiting but it works fine for me in my surf bag. 

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

On 7/8/2024 at 6:15 AM, Camhabib said:

Stasher makes reusable silicone zip lock bags that have been working great for me. Can even attach them by carabiner, though I just stuff mine in the pocket of my surf bag. Slip one of those elastics for kids braces to keep the leaders from getting tangled or just throw them all in and remove carefully. 

Oh, interesting! this looks super useful

image.png.f7e1a379273add2274503a5b0877e664.png

10 mins ago, VR46 said:

Oh, interesting! this looks super useful

image.png.f7e1a379273add2274503a5b0877e664.png

This is exactly the one I use. Have a few of them for different purposes, including keeping my keys dry, holding leaders and extra finger wrap tape in my surf bag, etc. Fully waterproof, and quite durable in my experience. They make a few different sizes as well, not sure which have the carabiner hole though. 

Edited by Camhabib

17 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

Small ziplock bag with pre-tied leaders. Why get a leader wallet and add bulk? 

I want something that hooks don't puncture, it's jammed in with everything 

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

1 hour ago, OnlyDinks said:

Get a Gear up leader wallet. $25 and low profile sailcloth. 

Could you measure yours? Can't find the dimensions on the product listings online 

38 mins ago, OnlyDinks said:

6”wide x 4.5” tall

Thank you, looks like a good one but might be a bit too tall to fit standing up in the pouch, I will test with cardboard because that is basically just right otherwise 

13 mins ago, marty_mccarty said:

Thank you, looks like a good one but might be a bit too tall to fit standing up in the pouch, I will test with cardboard because that is basically just right otherwise 

No problem!

4 hours ago, marty_mccarty said:

I want something that hooks don't puncture, it's jammed in with everything 

Lol that would do it I guess. I would recommend a GU or find a flatlander that has that awesome little terminal tackle/leader pouch. Game changer

9 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Small ziplock bag with pre-tied leaders. Why get a leader wallet and add bulk? 

I do the same. I used to carry 10 or 12 pre-tied  leaders in a leader wallet. I switched to carrying 3 or 4 pre tied leaders in small individual zip lock bags with an elastic around them. I keep them readily available in my surf bag between the wall of bag and tubes. I do this because a leader wallet was just one more thing to carry and to forget at home. I also realized that in all my years of surf fishing I never needed more than 3 pre tied leaders on any given surf trip. 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

3 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I do the same. I used to carry 10 or 12 pre-tied  leaders in a leader wallet. I switched to carrying 3 or 4 pre tied leaders in small individual zip lock bags with an elastic around them. I keep them readily available in my surf bag between the wall of bag and tubes. I do this because a leader wallet was just one more thing to carry and to forget at home. I also realized that in all my years of surf fishing I never needed more than 3 pre tied leaders on any given surf trip. 

Same. I very rarely go through 2 leaders a night but always carry 6-8 leaders in case I run into some “quality” fish. Then I re-tie as needed. Don’t wanna lose a giant by risking using an old leader. Congrats on that 50 btw. I’m hopefully going to join that club soon lol

I can think of only disadvantages using a leader wallet, more time to access a leader as you have a separate piece of gear, more time because you have to unzip a zip lock bag that is not waterproof by a longshot (not that it needs to be), more risk because if you lose the wallet you lose all leaders and more cost. May not seem like an issue to most but add up the "extra" time spent fiddling around during an entire season and factor in how much fishing time you're wasting not fishing.

I found a simple 4 mil 3" x 5" non-ziplock bag much more efficient, I'd be back casting before most could access their leader wallet. I just folded the bags in half and slipped them into self-draining leader pockets sewn into each surf bag. I can' see any downside. I stored different type leaders in each surfbag pocket so no "flipping thru" leader wallet "pages" to find what you are looking for. I carried 40 leaders of several different types and styles, each type in a different surfbag leader pocket. 

Just one of the many common practices I found inefficient, mostly by watching others. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by SC