Leader wallets these days

Rate this topic

What are you guys using when fishing in a wetsuit? I'm really just looking for a low profile durable pouch that drains to put inside of another bag. I don't want another item to clip on my belt 

Looking for one that fits comfortably inside the front pouch of my flatlander 3 tube, I bring just this pouch on my belt when I'm traveling light and no pockets on the wetsuit to put my regular leader wallet in. I have 3x3" poly bags for the individual leaders but right now I just put them in loose and I could see them getting lost easily or punctured by hooks. I want to put the poly bags inside of something low profile and durable 

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

Sounds like you don't need anything bombproof, just a slim organizer. Plenty of options on the big market sites for less than $10.

I am not always gentle with my gear, but a cheap 20+ year old Cabelas leader wallet has served me well. The velcro has worn out, but its in a pocket and stays folded, even when removed. Actually like it better now; no ripping sound of velcro everytime I need a new leader.

7 mins ago, wok167 said:

Sounds like you don't need anything bombproof, just a slim organizer. Plenty of options on the big market sites for less than $10.

I am not always gentle with my gear, but a cheap 20+ year old Cabelas leader wallet has served me well. The velcro has worn out, but its in a pocket and stays folded, even when removed. Actually like it better now; no ripping sound of velcro everytime I need a new leader.

Yep, just looking for a basic slim pouch, but sail cloth material would be great because it will be sitting in with hooks.... And no zippers, either velcro or snap closure would be great because 

I too use a basic fly fishing  leader wallet that I stuff in my surf bag, works awesome but a little bulky for this use and the material catches hooks

"A jury of flies, likely to condemn and betray all the trouts in the river" - Izaak Walton

If I'm truly wetsuiting it means I'm working light. Single tube bag, bucktail pouch, etc. In that case I'll carry a small watertight "card case" (right side of pic). It can reasonably fit three rolled, pre tied leaders or a longer lenght of leader material and some clips/hooks.

I have a Tiderunner I'll clip off of my belt if I'm not swimming or snag hazards are less of an issue.

Screenshot_20240707_182744_VSCO.jpg.477df7ea586ec4ffdab5691f71ac58e3.jpg

You could also make a small "tape pouch out of quality riggers or duct tape and incorporate an adhesive velcro closure. Here's a simple one I use as an IFAK insert, not pretty but it gets the job done and stands up to abuse surprisingly well.

Screenshot_20240707_182835_VSCO.jpg.6fd173b902fa5885cf7c1bec5b90bc96.jpg

Screenshot_20240707_182809_VSCO.jpg.ad965723bbaf670b154959d8bf7ad336.jpg

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

Stasher makes reusable silicone zip lock bags that have been working great for me. Can even attach them by carabiner, though I just stuff mine in the pocket of my surf bag. Slip one of those elastics for kids braces to keep the leaders from getting tangled or just throw them all in and remove carefully. 

I just use tiny baggies, you know like the ones split rings come in, then put all in a larger ziplock that i stuff behind the tubes in my surf bag. Works great and eliminates the need for a wallet

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

I have a TA accessory pouch that i keep some bucktails and pretied leaders in, in my experience they’re fine just stuffed in there but a ziplock bag is extra assurance. It was a 20 dollar bag and exactly what i needed on my belt!

I duct taped a few small heavy duty ziplock bags together. I added a couple small zip ties to the bottom. So, I guess not totally waterproof for wet suiting but it works fine for me in my surf bag.