July 2024

Rate this topic

Congrats, me: I am now an official SOL topic starter. I'm sure @TimS or another admin will have my badge or HoF invite along shortly. 

Lost my damned mind and went out fishing yesterday on the Patuxent and that was the last time I make that mistake: boat traffic was so bad there were arguments from the boat owners coming out as well as coming in as I was walking to my spot. Again, trash was a substantial issue as "out of town" traffic just let their 7-11 snacks lie on the beach after they were done. Just a big ole' zero in terms of fishing, although I didn't stay long since it was a full-blown carnival out there...

Went out wading this morning across the street and did pick up a few rat rockfish and two white perch in the rocks. Nothing to write home about but didn't bring the skunk home.

• TimS changed the title to July 2024
1 hour ago, SaltyRugger said:

... and of course, first topic, first fail as the title should be "July 2024." 

I'm an a$$.

I fixed it...and we're all asses, that's what makes us lovable :bucktooth:

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Yesterday at dawn, myself and a buddy had several shore based fish up to 29” and then I got a huge resident (maybe 38”) up to the surface before it wrapped a pylon and broke my line. We get a handful of 33-35” fish at that particular spot every summer but an approx 18-20 pounder was definitely unexpected. 

Edited by ASrod

Aspiring Dayquil Pro-Staffer.

22 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Last night was...disappointing.

I really gotta fish AM's or something.

I blame the 100+ heat index. Was like 80 something after midnight.

Yeah, in the same boat. I may let the water sit for a week or so until this heat wave breaks. My garage needs cleaning anyway.

2 hours ago, SaltyRugger said:

Yeah, in the same boat. I may let the water sit for a week or so until this heat wave breaks. My garage needs cleaning anyway.

It's that or we raid @ASrod's spots.

I needa fish that side anyways....

2 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

It's that or we raid @ASrod's spots.

I needa fish that side anyways....

Early AM and either live spot or 6” tsunami shads have been the only time it’s been worth it. It’s too damn hot lol.

I’m not even retrieving much so much as getting the shads deep and in to current then hanging them there. And having a live liner reel and a heavy weight help a lot with the spot.

Edited by ASrod

2 hours ago, ASrod said:

Was hoping to catch a slot sized striper to bring home and failed the assignment. 31 incher amongst a bunch of other over slots.

IMG_2284.jpeg

Nice. Struck out today. Bit of an unfocused day. Tons of jellyfishes - unpleasant.

Tried hitting some mid-bay rockpiles yesterday and nearly blew away. Feel like the winds out of the east have been particularly brutal this summer so far. Certainly hasn't helped my catch ratio. 

Mid-Pax is just LOADED with bait right now. The whole river has that "worried" look to it when I drive over it in the morning. Haven't seen anything breaking on them yet so maybe they are just on a fish vacation or something. 

On 7/6/2024 at 2:07 PM, Saltfruit said:

Last night was...disappointing.

I really gotta fish AM's or something.

I blame the 100+ heat index. Was like 80 something after midnight.

It was 90 this morning coming out of the tunnel at 0430.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

12 mins ago, ReeferRob said:

It was 90 this morning coming out of the tunnel at 0430.

Cheezus christ.

I'm usually a hoodie till midmorning guy, get the sweat going then wear a longsleeve for the work day.

Not so the past week.

That thing is staying in the car.

Miserably warm and heavy today, didn’t even bother fishing. I was drenched with sweat after a quarter mile walk from the metro stop to my building.

On a side note, this color pattern has been the absolute ticket lately. White, chartreuse, and the standards have been a total bust.

IMG_2288.jpeg

11 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

Cheezus christ.

I'm usually a hoodie till midmorning guy, get the sweat going then wear a longsleeve for the work day.

Not so the past week.

That thing is staying in the car.

I'm in shorts until it gets down into the single digits. No hoodie until the 50s.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau