Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2024

Rate this topic

2 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Bethany beach surf reading ~60F, what gives? 

The O.C.inlet reading is 67F, yesterday it was 65 F . who knows. 

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

16 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Zoo?  :laugh:. Doesn't even begin to describe it.  Last 2 days the lots were filled by 9 and they went to 1 out and 1 in.

OSV had more then 12 vehicles, nonfishers and vehicles with no permits

Even a group with canopies up and no vehicles or poles.  People next to us went out 3 or 4 times and brought a pickup full of people back each time.  I knew who she was too because of where she use to work so I know she's a regular there.

we left around 3, went to air up and some jackass was blocking the air pump for 20 minutes while they sat there repacking their car.  My sister came over around 11 and said it took her 45 minutes to get from the bridge to the parking lots.

Water was really dirty.  Managed some kingfish and spot.  The normal size kingfish were way out almost at the outer bar.  Started with 4 oz to hold and went all the way up to 7.  At that point I had to use my heavers because I left the heavier spinners at the house.  Tough to see the bites at that point.  Had kingfish heads and spot heads one of my heavers most of the day and nothing touched it.  Couldn't even find a shark.  Small kingfish and spot were in close.  Even tried live lining a spot and small kingfish and nothing.

I guess we should have stayed till the top of high tide because small drum showed up.

That sounds awful. 

This was our first time on the MD side. We had to get there early to get on the OSV but I’d expect that on a holiday weekend. This morning we were number 80 at 6:00 this morning. It was definitely nice being able to spread out and not be crowding anyone. Ended up with a good mess of Spot and Kingfish over the two days we fished. Overall a very good summer trip. 

On 7/6/2024 at 1:08 PM, hunter123 said:

The O.C.inlet reading is 67F, yesterday it was 65 F . who knows. 

Out back on  the VA side when we were out in the boat on Tuesday the water temp was 69.  Wednesday those areas were up to 74 and a another spot we hit that we didn't hit Tuesday was 76.  

On 7/6/2024 at 3:38 PM, BLilly said:

That sounds awful. 

This was our first time on the MD side. We had to get there early to get on the OSV but I’d expect that on a holiday weekend. This morning we were number 80 at 6:00 this morning. It was definitely nice being able to spread out and not be crowding anyone. Ended up with a good mess of Spot and Kingfish over the two days we fished. Overall a very good summer trip. 

A despise holiday weekends but it was rhe only week I could take off work and the oldest started marching band which pretty much consumes the whole month of August so we basically gotta get our summer stuff in the whole month of July done.  I will probably be back down at some point for a long weekend and probably in September and October to rebuild my parents deck.  At that point I can fish all night :laugh:

49 mins ago, DerrickT said:

A despise holiday weekends but it was rhe only week I could take off work and the oldest started marching band which pretty much consumes the whole month of August so we basically gotta get our summer stuff in the whole month of July done.  I will probably be back down at some point for a long weekend and probably in September and October to rebuild my parents deck.  At that point I can fish all night :laugh:

Yeah same here, the rest of our summer looks pretty busy with various activities. We do have a week planned to be in Chincoteague at the end of September once the crowds thin out, so I'm definitely looking forward to that trip. 

As mentioned, the water is full of kingfish and spot, once I gave up on catching something larger and switched to 2/0 hooks I had my cooler full in no time,  had 1 bait rod feeding my 2 drum rigs.   No drum but I lost my favorite drum rig to a toothy critter after I paddled out baits past the 2nd break.

What was weird was while I was out bodyboarding the water temp was warm on the outside break,  once I came in the water on the inside was freezing cold.

Don't get me started on that entrance/exit to the OSV,  that was a zoo yesterday.  Had rangers stationed there to watch everyone get stuck.  I barely made it out having to weave around people standing around with hands on their hips trying to figure out how to get unstuck.

Edited by spinr0k

1 hour ago, spinr0k said:

Don't get me started on that entrance/exit to the OSV,  that was a zoo yesterday.  Had rangers stationed there to watch everyone get stuck.  I barely made it out having to weave around people standing around with hands on their hips trying to figure out how to get unstuck.

Heading down in the am.....I'll watch what I'm doing! gonna practice with my new conventional set up if nothing else.

On 7/7/2024 at 6:51 PM, BLilly said:

Yeah same here, the rest of our summer looks pretty busy with various activities. We do have a week planned to be in Chincoteague at the end of September once the crowds thin out, so I'm definitely looking forward to that trip. 

May be an illustration of 1 person and text that says 'GALE IrstAn! TIÊ CHAAYEA por po MARY cAPTOW CAPTO mINg "It seemed like September would never arrive, and in the meantime you had to put up with all the people who cluttered the beaches and jammed the streetcars, under some sort of mistaken idea that they were having a vacation. August was time of strangers-sunburned, pink-blotched people, people you didn' know and didn't want to know. Strangers far from home, cluttering up the local facilities.' Robert Ruark The Old Man's Boy Grows Older'

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

10 mins ago, Frank2104 said:

Been sitting at 20km since 0630. A few kingfish 2 hours before high tide. Couple small spot. All on FBBW. also caught a ray that looks like the bull above. 

Its a good day to test out your new rig.   Cut off those kingfish or spot heads and chunk them out to test how far you can throw with it,  I found 6oz was holding this weekend on my drum rigs.

Edited by spinr0k

On 7/7/2024 at 9:24 PM, Jimichanga said:

The confused look I get when I actually catch a keeper tog at the Stacks in Delaware. 

IMG_20240707_163119251_HDR.jpg

We'd have had a lot of Tog if the limit was 15 inches.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

14 hours ago, BLilly said:

This is why I normally disappear into the mountains of West Virginia during the summer....it's also cooler out there. 

Not me, I'm half Blackfoot so I get the savage tan.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau