Delmarva Fishin' Reports - July 2024

Rate this topic

15 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Man I would love to load up on some big kings.  Dee freaking licious!!!

Throw strips of fresh caught spot wayyy out there…..

13 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Lord be with.

Yea didn't happen.  Riptide warnings, so I wasn't letting the kids near the water.

Maybe tomorrow.  Really want to load up on kings before we head home since the flounder bite the last 2 days was non existent.

22 hours ago, JaseB said:

I've had cownose out jump a marlin.  

First time I've seen it.   Natalie hooked into a cow nose the other night outback while we were fishing for sharks.  Had to be between 40 and 50#.  After about 45 minutes she handed me the rid and said she was done because her arms hurt :laugh:

Edited by DerrickT

3 hours ago, DerrickT said:

First time I've seen it.   Natalie hooked into a cow nose the other night outback while we were fishing for sharks.  Had to be between 40 and 50#.  After about 45 minutes she handed me the rid and said she was done because her arms hurt :laugh:

I boated one on a freshwater rig croaker fishing in the Rappahannock.   Similar feeling in mah arms.

In fireline we trust!

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

On 7/3/2024 at 8:26 AM, DerrickT said:

Against my better judgment and with a strong push from the kids we are going to attempt to hit the VA side tomorrow morning.  I have my doubts but we will see what happens

How did it go??

We drove down to Chincoteague to spend the day with my brother and his family. Drove out to Toms Cove to pick up my OSV permit and it looked like a zoo. 

3 hours ago, BLilly said:

How did it go??

We drove down to Chincoteague to spend the day with my brother and his family. Drove out to Toms Cove to pick up my OSV permit and it looked like a zoo. 

Zoo?  :laugh:. Doesn't even begin to describe it.  Last 2 days the lots were filled by 9 and they went to 1 out and 1 in.

OSV had more then 12 vehicles, nonfishers and vehicles with no permits

Even a group with canopies up and no vehicles or poles.  People next to us went out 3 or 4 times and brought a pickup full of people back each time.  I knew who she was too because of where she use to work so I know she's a regular there.

we left around 3, went to air up and some jackass was blocking the air pump for 20 minutes while they sat there repacking their car.  My sister came over around 11 and said it took her 45 minutes to get from the bridge to the parking lots.

Water was really dirty.  Managed some kingfish and spot.  The normal size kingfish were way out almost at the outer bar.  Started with 4 oz to hold and went all the way up to 7.  At that point I had to use my heavers because I left the heavier spinners at the house.  Tough to see the bites at that point.  Had kingfish heads and spot heads one of my heavers most of the day and nothing touched it.  Couldn't even find a shark.  Small kingfish and spot were in close.  Even tried live lining a spot and small kingfish and nothing.

I guess we should have stayed till the top of high tide because small drum showed up.

Edited by DerrickT

3 hours ago, DerrickT said:

I guess we should have stayed till the top of high tide because small drum showed up.

Red or Black drum?

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."
Jacques Cousteau

On 7/3/2024 at 8:53 PM, KOSS said:

I got to fish the beach today!  Happens rarely anymore.  I need a little help with ID.  I’ve never caught this type of Ray before.  Any ideas?  The eyes were striking.  Huge.  Looks like this guy belongs in deep water.  I was looking through Atlantic Ocean ray species and I didn’t see it.  Where’s Dave?  He’s caught everything.  Twice.

Anyway, my son and I were out for 5 hours or so.  Whiting bite was awesome.  Kept 20 for tacos and sandwiches.  Easily could have had twice that.  They wanted meat.  Give them meat.

IMG_2294.jpeg

atlantic eagle ray, they have started to become regular on assateague over the last 4 or 5 years now. 

Managed to find a few reds this week before the holiday, previous week water was cold, wind switching out of the east this past week helped warm it up again some bringing in the toothy critters, various ray species, kings and spot were good this week as well. The reds all came on one night, love catching summer reds but I will admit they do not fight anywhere near as hard as they do in the fall. The bigger one measured 50" and she was fat, most likely ready to spawn. Last year when I was getting them in July they were definitely spawning. The males would leak when you picked them up. 20 years ago you would rarely ever hear of reds in the summer of at all, now over the last 4 to 5 years they seem to be getting more and more common. Last fall was miserable fishing for reds, mostly due to storms but let's hope they haven't moved to a summer run and leave before the fall. 

PSX_20240703_220941.jpg

20240704_005345.jpg

I' m lucky to have a place near O.C.MD, 15 to 20 min from A.I.MD. I don't fish A.I. on the weekends, and No holidays. On week ends I hit the back bay behind my place or the Oceanic pier early, and I mean early. I also avoid O.C. 4 min from my place, If we have to go out we go to Berlin, ocean pines  , or DE. We do go to A.I. VA during the week sometimes. My wife likes the beaches there better. We stay at our place for 2 months , till school starts again and I have to go back to work.

Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.