Redfin 2.0 petition

Rate this topic

I sent a letter to Cotton Cordell sometime in the early 70’s about making the 5” Redfin with a swivel hook holder for the belly. This was before Pradco bought out Cordell. Next year he came out with the sinking 5” Redfin. Unfortunately the plug never produced well, one of those things that looked good on paper but not to fish. I cut off the lip and made in a needle fish, didn’t produce well in that style. 
I’d like to see a through wired, swivel mounted belly hook with a weight transfer feature. However it won’t be an improved Redfin but a completely different plug. Don’t mess with the original, just make a new plug and keep producing the original.  I saw my first Redfin in 1967 and I’m sure it was produced then. It’s probably been around for almost 60 years, any plugs in your bag have that legacy. 
A lot of 4/0 Mustads and heavy split rings have been straightened on the 7” version. The tail hook hanger has pulled out on a few, the belly hanger has been twisted but I can’t recall it being pulled out on the 7”. Seems like the split ring fails first. 
Whatever the lure designers come up with and the field testers tweak it won’t surpass 60 years of surfcasters modifications. 

F0D6B6EE-0E89-4F6E-8893-A80CEE11AB9E.jpeg

D74B1ED9-FA10-47E7-8FF2-2E4AD19A8D5E.jpeg

On 7/3/2024 at 9:15 AM, fishfinderct said:

This is supposed to be a petition. If you support the idea, you can say yes and maybe share which sizes or colors you’d really like to see. If you want to talk about why you don’t like the idea…start your own thread. It’s simple. I think it’s disrespectful to completely ignore the heading and treat it like a debate or an opinion pole. Opinions are like a$$#*\€s… and the fishing community is full of both. They often feel the need to assert their “expert opinions“ completely unsolicited. If you want to butt in on conversations and give your two cents, try doing it at a bar and see how that works out for ya. I learned a long time ago that nobody wants to hear my opinion unless they ask for it. 
It’s your thread now. Enjoy 

practice what one preaches?

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Looked into this last year.  Main problem is the lip.

Moving weights help keep the tail planted to an extent.

The high float and big lip that gives the CC it's action sorta go out the window when you need a very heavy sliding weight to achieve big distance gains over the original.

Fact is, compared to SP minnows and sp's.  It doesn't cast that bad.  

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

About 10 years ago when I was working at the tackle shop, a sales rep. for Cotton Cordell gave me this 7" loaded prototype Red Fin which the owner of CC at the time  (can't remember ?) was going to market. The salesman gave it to me to test because he knew I loved Red fins and said that the CC owner was considering adding to the Red fin line up. I tested the plug which was loaded with shot and weighed ! 1/4 oz. ,however, it was never marketed.

IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

On 7/1/2024 at 1:18 PM, fishfinderct said:

He doesn’t have a weight transfer system and you can’t buy it off the shelf at your local tackle shop. I like what he does but not everybody wants to spend that kind of money and wait for a plastic lure 

Yeah spending $40+ on a redfin and having to wait is not it

9 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

About 10 years ago when I was working at the tackle shop, a sales rep. for Cotton Cordell gave me this 7" loaded prototype Red Fin which the owner of CC at the time  (can't remember ?) was going to market. The salesman gave it to me to test because he knew I loved Red fins and said that the CC owner was considering adding to the Red fin line up. I tested the plug which was loaded with shot and weighed ! 1/4 oz. ,however, it was never marketed.

IMG_0414.jpeg

IMG_0415.jpeg

Get it X-rayed