July 2024 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

Fished from 530-6pm last night, moco. Went to a jetty where I caught my pb fluke. The wind! The waves! Oh my. Could barely cast and getting on the jetty was a big no no w the surf. Hopefully the weather holds today. I want to rent a skiff in SRI.

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

Surf was kicking up today and the water didn't seem as cold as yesterday and was clean and clear.  Could have done without the SSW wind but looked fishy.  Kept one eye on the waves as I tried digging for bugs as a quick rain shower moved in.  Fishable bugs have not been very plentiful this year with loads of little ones around.  The wind made it a challenge to get them to where the fish might be but by doing the walk the dog method up the beach found a fat 25 incher.  Switched over to a bucktail as the surf got bigger and found one at 30 inches.  On the way back saw a nice rip that developed which looked like it should hold fish and it did when a 27 incher took the bugs.  A couple of these fish were well fed busting at the seams with the size of their girth.  Needed a morning like this to recharge the fishing batteries after a bleak week.

DSCF4524.JPG

DSCF4525.JPG

DSCF4527.JPG

11 hours ago, Heavy Seas said:

Anyone see the cobia caught from the surf yesterday? I didn’t know they came in shore. Report from the last few weeks: short fluke. 

Yep, I've seen one or two reported caught most years from the surf the last 5-10 years  The fish are becoming a little more stable of a fishery every year inshore from the boat.  Last year was pretty good up until the bunker boats wiped out the schools we were fishing.  Theyre an odd fish.  I've seen a 50 lbr bury someone to the bottom for 20 minutes, and then a slightly bigger one swim directly to the boat and put up no fight at all...until you gaff it. 

rented a skiff yesterday and was a beautiful day until the flash storm around 2-230. Had to drop the lady and pup off at Kleins while I booked it back to the Den. Pretty darn scary being in a metal tub with rods driving directly into lightning. Got totally soaked. A couple of short fluke up to 15in. Did not see a single keeper by anyone.  

Weather immediately improved and fished in the back. Lost a couple gulp tails and that's all she wrote.

B'Nuggets with the Asian.

(*member formerly known as 'imdannoir')

4 hours ago, Dan K said:

rented a skiff yesterday and was a beautiful day until the flash storm around 2-230. Had to drop the lady and pup off at Kleins while I booked it back to the Den. Pretty darn scary being in a metal tub with rods driving directly into lightning. Got totally soaked. A couple of short fluke up to 15in. Did not see a single keeper by anyone.  

Weather immediately improved and fished in the back. Lost a couple gulp tails and that's all she wrote.

When you wish that 25HP OB would turn into 150 HP!! 

15 hours ago, Dan K said:

Good that all are well. Classic Pine Barrens thunderstorms. One of the things I remember from a Pinelands class at Rutgers many moons ago. When it gets this hot with the humidity the Pinelands bakes and that hot air rises that’s was causes a vacuum effect and creates that on shore breeze usually round lunch time but as that humid air rises it condenses and causes those storms like last couple days. 

was on D-Bay 20+ years ago and storm raced across bay had to beach on Egg Island. Cool thing was we watched 3-4 foot sharks chasing fish in a foot or so of water 

1 hour ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Wait… I thought they had 7 stripes?!? 

water temp update- as of yesterday afternoon. water temps came back to a more normal early July temp. Confirmed the same this morning while out surfing. 

Must be a Canadian import. ;)

Pfantum Pfishah

NE wind did bring in some warmer water and there was still some surf action, but it was settling down as the tide came in.  Still billions of 1/4 bugs in the wash line and few of size you want for drifting.  Did find one with the correct number of stripes early morning followed by a couple of short fluke and that was it.  No other bait to be found.  Would have liked to see that rolling surf from Saturday continuing but doesn't look like that will be happening again until the end of the week.