July 2024 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

On 7/2/2024 at 5:39 PM, plt391 said:

Put a few on the beach this morning and missed a few warmer water probably helped IMG_1936.jpeg.0e768b000324425538a8255511540951.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpeg

Looks inviting. When’s the party?

14 hours ago, ridenfish said:

I’m sure they’ll pump more sand soon now that things are finally starting to heal. 

You are correct. Had my first visit to somoco country which I've been putting off. All the nice rock piles were completely gone after the replenishment during the off season. Felt like that twilight zone episode where the guy wakes up and he's the same but everyone around him is different.

Edited by adams54

1 hour ago, JimK said:

Finding some decent non-bug eating bass at night. 30 ish inch fish, some a little smaller some a little larger. Good fish for July and away from crowds   Dark colored plugs. That’s all the info I can share 

This is where my old English teacher, Sister Stanislaus Koska, would challenge us as to sentence construction and intent! "That's all the info I can share" as opposed to what you actually intend to convey "That's all the info I WILL share." Don't mess with a Sister of Saint Joseph product!  :shame:

On 7/3/2024 at 1:01 PM, jetty eddy said:

I tried looking for the commercial taking of menhaden in federal waters and come up empty every time. I think there is a lawsuit going on  because  omega protein is a now owned by a canadian company 

3miles is BS let an american vessel try that , in another countrys waters all holy heck would break loose, confiscate the vessel, throw the crew in jail, and bankrupt the owners. Really, after 911, HTF does the feds allow foriegn vessels, so close?? Try getting near the Amo pier, their on your arse like flies on chit. 

After a better last week seeing more activity, this week has been back in the crapper.  Bigger water pushing up on the sand this morning made it look fishy, but it sure wasn't.  Water temp is back down again, but it shouldn't be shutting everything down as it has lately.  Looks more and more like they decided to vacation somewhere else this summer.

Fished the incoming for fluke this am caught a sundial and a 16" fluke then the bite went to stripes landed 3 one at 28" that's dinner tonight. Stomach contents were sandeels and what looked like a peanut and bugs. Had a lot of hits as well all fish on a 6" jerk shad and light fluke rod (much fun). Water was rough and very cold.

20240705_094925.jpg

3 hours ago, lostinthewash said:

Fished the incoming for fluke this am caught a sundial and a 16" fluke then the bite went to stripes landed 3 one at 28" that's dinner tonight. Stomach contents were sandeels and what looked like a peanut and bugs. Had a lot of hits as well all fish on a 6" jerk shad and light fluke rod (much fun). Water was rough and very cold.

20240705_094925.jpg

Great job Sir! Thanks for the intel. I wonder if the summer sand eel bite will start soon.

1 hour ago, bill cunnane said:

Sitting here thinking back about summers gone by like most old farts do. 1956 As a kid our minds were oh space, end of school and the Yankees. Our family lived in Red Bank NJ, dad worked in NYC for Western Electric. Every summer he reserved the last week of July and first week of August for vacation. Seaside Park was our annual vacation spot. Oh there was the annual ritual and everyone had their preparations prior to the exodus to the land of sun and surf. Mine was to make sure the fishing tackle ant gear was ready. Reels well oiled, new line on each, all rusty hooks disposed of and a list of needed tackle made. I was 7 yrs old but knew my job.  Mom and grandmom got the cloths sheets blankets, pots and pans and food ready. Dad got the car prepared for the road trip. Friday night was pack the car night. Not an inch of space left unfilled. We hit the road at 7am  saturday. Had to try to beat the heat and traffic on the parkway. A must to get to the rental agency at noon to get the keys to the house. Oh crossing the bridge was heaven  The smell of the ocean and exhaust from the hundreds of cars coming and going. Windows had to be open as no A/C back then. We were packed so tight in that car that we almost had to take turns breathing. 12 noon and we get the keys and burn rubber to get to the house. Priority one... get inside and hit the bathroom. While waiting our turn to the bathroom those free hands were busy unpacking the car. No time to waste. Cloths food and oh yes the precious fishing gear. Once unpacked the women settled in to making beds and putting the stuff in the kitchen away. Dad and I drove to the boardwalk and purchased the beach badges. Next stop we would go to the tackle shop  We were annual regulars at Franks Bait and Tackle. Oh the smell...  That smell of bait as you enter the shop. We would buy  a couple boxes of frozen squid and maybe a bunker or two and I had my list of tackle that we needed. Next door was the store that sold newspapers and comic books. Gotta have them. headed back to the house put the bait away in the freezer. Had to plug in the radio so we could hear the Yankee game that afternoon. as evening started we had dinner and went on the screened in porch. The screens was needed unless you wanted to be eaten alive by the mosquitoes. Relaxing as the days heat eased and the breeze was a relief. Oh there was the scent of the DDT trucks spraying too. We lived through that and little to no brain damage from it. If we dared to go to the boardwalk to watch the ocean in the evening a liberal application of OFF was essential.  Early to bed as fishing awaits in the morning, the wind up alarm clock set. One hour before dawn dad and I grabbed a box of squid and the tackle and headed to do battle with whatever dared to take our offerings. Cleaned the squid sabing the heads for crabbing later  Cut to strips  Dad had his big rod and large mitchel reel and I had my smaller setup with my mitchel 301. we worked the shore and were repaid with a few nice fluke. No size limits but our rule was not enough meat on the fish... back it goes and we released them with care. Lifeguards start to arrive and its our que to go home for breakfast . The smell of fresh brewed coffee greeted us but I welcomed my chocolate milk. Pancakes and bacon. The one hour rule kicked in. Cannot swim before that. Pack the car with beach stuff  we all head to the beach  I get breaded with Coppertone lotion. This went on for the entire vacation and will forever be in my memories. Simple times 

Great story!

12 hours ago, bill cunnane said:

Sitting here thinking back about summers gone by like most old farts do. 1956 As a kid our minds were oh space, end of school and the Yankees. Our family lived in Red Bank NJ, dad worked in NYC for Western Electric. Every summer he reserved the last week of July and first week of August for vacation. Seaside Park was our annual vacation spot. Oh there was the annual ritual and everyone had their preparations prior to the exodus to the land of sun and surf. Mine was to make sure the fishing tackle ant gear was ready. Reels well oiled, new line on each, all rusty hooks disposed of and a list of needed tackle made. I was 7 yrs old but knew my job.  Mom and grandmom got the cloths sheets blankets, pots and pans and food ready. Dad got the car prepared for the road trip. Friday night was pack the car night. Not an inch of space left unfilled. We hit the road at 7am  saturday. Had to try to beat the heat and traffic on the parkway. A must to get to the rental agency at noon to get the keys to the house. Oh crossing the bridge was heaven  The smell of the ocean and exhaust from the hundreds of cars coming and going. Windows had to be open as no A/C back then. We were packed so tight in that car that we almost had to take turns breathing. 12 noon and we get the keys and burn rubber to get to the house. Priority one... get inside and hit the bathroom. While waiting our turn to the bathroom those free hands were busy unpacking the car. No time to waste. Cloths food and oh yes the precious fishing gear. Once unpacked the women settled in to making beds and putting the stuff in the kitchen away. Dad and I drove to the boardwalk and purchased the beach badges. Next stop we would go to the tackle shop  We were annual regulars at Franks Bait and Tackle. Oh the smell...  That smell of bait as you enter the shop. We would buy  a couple boxes of frozen squid and maybe a bunker or two and I had my list of tackle that we needed. Next door was the store that sold newspapers and comic books. Gotta have them. headed back to the house put the bait away in the freezer. Had to plug in the radio so we could hear the Yankee game that afternoon. as evening started we had dinner and went on the screened in porch. The screens was needed unless you wanted to be eaten alive by the mosquitoes. Relaxing as the days heat eased and the breeze was a relief. Oh there was the scent of the DDT trucks spraying too. We lived through that and little to no brain damage from it. If we dared to go to the boardwalk to watch the ocean in the evening a liberal application of OFF was essential.  Early to bed as fishing awaits in the morning, the wind up alarm clock set. One hour before dawn dad and I grabbed a box of squid and the tackle and headed to do battle with whatever dared to take our offerings. Cleaned the squid sabing the heads for crabbing later  Cut to strips  Dad had his big rod and large mitchel reel and I had my smaller setup with my mitchel 301. we worked the shore and were repaid with a few nice fluke. No size limits but our rule was not enough meat on the fish... back it goes and we released them with care. Lifeguards start to arrive and its our que to go home for breakfast . The smell of fresh brewed coffee greeted us but I welcomed my chocolate milk. Pancakes and bacon. The one hour rule kicked in. Cannot swim before that. Pack the car with beach stuff  we all head to the beach  I get breaded with Coppertone lotion. This went on for the entire vacation and will forever be in my memories. Simple times 

I gave you a thumbs up but you almost lost me at …Yankees. Haha