July 2024 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, RatWhacker X5 said:
"Omega Update:
As of 5 pm tonight, we have 8 total Omega ships off NJ. Plus one NON-Omega, a company called Kellum out of VA as well. So that's 9 ships total.
2 anchored off Sandy Hook 
5 steaming Northward to meetup with the two
1 Headed back (Full) to Reedville, VA
Looking like tomorrow will be a full-on assault to fill these boats up with bunker and then head all the way back to Reedville VA and leave our local water empty.
If by some chance you are going to be on the water tomorrow and can get some photos of them fishing in the Sandy Hook area please let me know.
Thanks
PS>> Kellum bait boat joining them as a special guest. Gray hull makes it easy to spot. It's clearly the only spot on the East coast that still has what they are looking for".

I am not sure how far offshore they have to be. Its 5 or 3 miles.  If they are inside the limit line and you can get an accurate GPS location then you can report them.  This is an annual occurrence and has been for decades.

57 mins ago, hobobob said:

Federal water, 3 mile line. You can't do jack about it, and they know it. 

I tried looking for the commercial taking of menhaden in federal waters and come up empty every time. I think there is a lawsuit going on  because  omega protein is a now owned by a canadian company 

On 7/2/2024 at 6:43 PM, recoil said:

Skunked today in Ocean county, nice weather to be out..

Also curious as to why Sudsy edited the page one info. The below lines from previous month's were left out.

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

Pictures of Stripers are discouraged since they hinder a quick release and at times reveal a specific spot.

Do not direct viewers to any beach camera sites.

Wasn't edited, was just the original one I wrote years ago, copied and pasted it

When did we start discouraging photos ?

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Wasn't edited, was just the original one I wrote years ago, copied and pasted it

Pictures of Stripers are discouraged since they hinder a quick release and at times reveal a specific spot.

Sudsy, things have changed since years ago.  If you take your time and read the above lines, you will see that they have more to do with spot burning and mortality then they do about "discouraging photos".

Two subjects that you as a site moderator should appreciate and realize that they are relevant and belong in the opening post.

23 hours ago, RatWhacker X5 said:
"Omega Update:
As of 5 pm tonight, we have 8 total Omega ships off NJ. Plus one NON-Omega, a company called Kellum out of VA as well. So that's 9 ships total.
2 anchored off Sandy Hook 
5 steaming Northward to meetup with the two
1 Headed back (Full) to Reedville, VA
Looking like tomorrow will be a full-on assault to fill these boats up with bunker and then head all the way back to Reedville VA and leave our local water empty.
If by some chance you are going to be on the water tomorrow and can get some photos of them fishing in the Sandy Hook area please let me know.
Thanks
PS>> Kellum bait boat joining them as a special guest. Gray hull makes it easy to spot. It's clearly the only spot on the East coast that still has what they are looking for".

Captain Kirk at Omega et al , must be using a "Star trek cloaking"  device or they would show up here and easily spotted by the USCG. Or someone is asleep at the switch.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-74.0/centery:40.0/zoom:9

Edited by yarddog59

7 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I like the original… and I also like seeing pics of fish

3 hours ago, recoil said:

Sudsy, things have changed since years ago.  If you take your time and read the above lines, you will see that they have more to do with spot burning and mortality then they do about "discouraging photos".

Two subjects that you as a site moderator should appreciate and realize that they are relevant and belong in the opening post.

Personally I'm OK with that but I don't make the rules

We'll deal with this the way Tim wants it handled

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Fished no moco sunrise to 8:30. Tried a plastic swimmer and popper for an hour or so, no luck so switched to fluking. Water was cool but seemed to warm up a little with the top of the tide. Managed some shorts and one 19” keeper.  Some of the fluke were way out on the backside of the sandbar, btw. Happy 4th everyone!  

All quiet out there for me this morning, except for all the swimmers on the beach.  Tried two locations and couldn't get a touch.  Was tough finding bugs and some current to send them out which may have something to do with the lack of activity.  Water was cool but far from the bone chilling stuff we have experienced lately.  Was also a bit on the cloudy side too.  With the south wind setting up again for the next few days I'm expecting that water to cool down even more.  Happy 4th everybody!