July 2024 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

July brought back the cold water and fish with lock jaw.  It just didn't look very fishy this morning with the lack of surf and moving water as well as the return of cold conditions.  Covered a lot of sand and had only one hit that didn't connect.  A NW wind doesn't usually warm thing up but we will see what it does by morning.

Took 6wgt out for fluke in NMCO- conditions not bad- water warmer then of late- murkier also- terns going nutty off shore- managed two undersized fluke- watched a very angry old guy walked up and down the beach tossing every piece of wood debris he could lay his hands on from the sand and into the ocean. Big/Small it did not matter. Very odd to say the least  

Fished the afternoon incoming in NoMoCo. Finally saw birds, terns, working on small bait out too far. All of a sudden a large pod of dolphins came in on some bigger bait, lg. bunker. They were hitting bait out of the water and crashing into the bunker on the surface. Caught zip but the small bait showing, dolphins and beach eye candy made it a pleasant outing.

Edited by saltyh2ofly
Spelling

18 hours ago, MC55 said:

July brought back the cold water and fish with lock jaw.  It just didn't look very fishy this morning with the lack of surf and moving water as well as the return of cold conditions.  Covered a lot of sand and had only one hit that didn't connect.  A NW wind doesn't usually warm thing up but we will see what it does by morning.

Sorry @MC55. I brought you my contagious skunk. Worked the same stretch as MC yesterday AM and whined to him about my dismal skunk streak. He just laughed and threw calicos and bugs at me.

Anyway, hit further north this AM. Beautiful AM, warmer water, beginning of outgoing, no surf or current. Lots of fluke taps and at least broke the skunk with a short fluke. 

I ditched @DeeMonee this morning so was able to shake off that skunk smell.  Only found one 26 incher with the conditions not so great again.  Water did warm but surf has flatted out so there was little to no moving water to work.  Looks like that south wind will be working its way back in again.  Next outing for me will be Thursday.

"Just off of Long Branch NJ this morning, these FIVE massive Omega Protein/Cooke Seafood vessels scooping up millions of pounds of bunker for export to feed Cooke's salmon pens. Our coastal ecosystem its humpback whales, bottlenose dolphins, striped bass, osprey, tuna, and more all take the direct hit while Canadian Cooke seafood gets richer".

bunker.1.jpg

(*member formerly known as 'Mr. Bigdeal')

Skunked today in Ocean county, nice weather to be out..

Also curious as to why Sudsy edited the page one info. The below lines from previous month's were left out.

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

Pictures of Stripers are discouraged since they hinder a quick release and at times reveal a specific spot.

Do not direct viewers to any beach camera sites.

"Omega Update:
As of 5 pm tonight, we have 8 total Omega ships off NJ. Plus one NON-Omega, a company called Kellum out of VA as well. So that's 9 ships total.
2 anchored off Sandy Hook 
5 steaming Northward to meetup with the two
1 Headed back (Full) to Reedville, VA
Looking like tomorrow will be a full-on assault to fill these boats up with bunker and then head all the way back to Reedville VA and leave our local water empty.
If by some chance you are going to be on the water tomorrow and can get some photos of them fishing in the Sandy Hook area please let me know.
Thanks
PS>> Kellum bait boat joining them as a special guest. Gray hull makes it easy to spot. It's clearly the only spot on the East coast that still has what they are looking for".
Edited by RatWhacker X5

(*member formerly known as 'Mr. Bigdeal')