Is it ethical in continuing to target Striped Bass?

Rate this topic

North Of The Cape there has to be another species to fish for that rivals Striped Bass. We are limited in options. Need the people with degrees over the wall to figure something out. 

Have to stock these ponds with more large mouth. World Class White Perch....something. 

15 hours ago, bob_G said:

I didn't mean to focus on the fact the man's English was poor.  But Z, you are absolutely right.

A cop friend told me that the quickest way to teach a man English is to say "You are under arrest".   According to him, 90% magically become fluent..

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

The funny thing is, while all the little guys are fighting with each other about who to blame for the  collapse of the stock,  pointing the finger at one another and what not, the big corporations are cashing in on the collapse. By big corporations I mean draggers and industries polluting the spawning grounds, either directly through factories dumping waste or selling lawn fertilizer to those who pride themselves on their lush green lawns. It seriously reminds me of the political landscape in this country. Blue hates red, red hates blue, meanwhile the billionaires running the show are laughing it up and getting richer. 

Well to answer the original question, I don't have an issue with people still fishing for SB. 

There are also so many issues to tackle,  with trying to rebuild the stock.

For me right now, the biggest issue is new recruitment, with the spawning index really bad for what, the past 5 years now?  If this doesn't change, nothing else we do or try will matter.

Bu bu butt I make soup out of the stripers … it doesn’t mattter what size they are … and it’s not just stripers it’s everything including sunfish from the local pond … folks don’t care , foreigners don’t want to understand …. It’s ac h I t show …. fishermen cleaning fish on peoples front lawns near the beech now you understand why the locals don’t care .fishermen/women are there own worst enemy … jersey is bad I can’t say what goes on in other states bu but it can’t be much better…. Ooooha bu bu the soup …. R e c t u m s 

18 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Gamefish status with a recreational harvest still permitted is just a quota grab.  

Gamefish status with 0 harvest by both recreational and commercial is the only way it works in my mind.  If we were to go with no harvest, then I’d just want a true moratorium… that way it’s easy enough to go back during booming years.

Also do not think you should be allowed to target them if this is the case.  Find something else.  This works for you because you let em go and 9% still die.  If there is no spawn we leave it to the play play torture guys to finish em off?

1 hour ago, FoulHooker said:

Also do not think you should be allowed to target them if this is the case.  Find something else.  This works for you because you let em go and 9% still die.  If there is no spawn we leave it to the play play torture guys to finish em off?

So the no target thing isn’t really enforceable, but I don’t really care since I don’t target them more the once or twice a year.  

maybe I’ll start targeting cod, ocean pout and wolf fish- the commercial guys have done a great job sharing that resource with the play play guys.

23 mins ago, Fitzy said:

So the no target thing isn’t really enforceable, but I don’t really care since I don’t target them more the once or twice a year.  

maybe I’ll start targeting cod, ocean pout and wolf fish- the commercial guys have done a great job sharing that resource with the play play guys.

I wish you luck.  Go get em

7 hours ago, The Riddler said:

North Of The Cape there has to be another species to fish for that rivals Striped Bass. We are limited in options. Need the people with degrees over the wall to figure something out. 

Have to stock these ponds with more large mouth. World Class White Perch....something. 

It would be nice if we started stocking pike and musky again. Walleye would be nice too. Also stocking stripers in some of our larger lakes would take some pressure off of the wild stripers.