Is it ethical in continuing to target Striped Bass?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, z-man said:

I would add to that artificial only no bait dead or alive. It’s too easy to both catch bass and deeply hook them on bait. 

Not with live eels in my experience. Hold rod at 11 o'clock while always maintaining contact with eel(on aboat may have reel slowly if current is faster than boats drift to keep.contact), feel the bass hit, lower rod to 9 o'clock , reel and lift. Corner of mouth with circle hook 99% of the time. 

4 mins ago, Chris76 said:

Not with live eels in my experience. Hold rod at 11 o'clock while always maintaining contact with eel(on aboat may have reel slowly if current is faster than boats drift to keep.contact), feel the bass hit, lower rod to 9 o'clock , reel and lift. Corner of mouth with circle hook 99% of the time. 

For every one of you that does it currently there are probably 99 yahoos that let the fish swallow it. 

3 mins ago, Chris76 said:

Ah, I'm not so sure about that?  Maybe you're doing something I wasn't?

Ive been fishing eels for decades. We used to use so many we bought them directly from the eel broker, 100lbs at a time.

I'd hate to tell you how many bass we released over the years with a single 5/0 hook in their throat or belly.  Even circles weren't that much better.   

Plus, the eels are in trouble due to the Asian elver market.  Maybe it's time to leave the eels alone.

The Sultan of Sluggo

4 mins ago, z-man said:

For every one of you that does it currently there are probably 99 yahoos that let the fish swallow it. 

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Ah, I'm not so sure about that?  Maybe you're doing something I wasn't?

Ive been fishing eels for decades. We used to use so many we bought them directly from the eel broker, 100lbs at a time.

I'd hate to tell you how many bass we released over the years with a single 5/0 hook in their throat or belly.  Even circles weren't that much better.   

Plus, the eels are in trouble due to the Asian elver market.  Maybe it's time to leave the eels alone.

Just my experience.  Exactly how i described fishing them boat or shore. All about being in contact with eel and not allowing bass to run with it on liveliner.  I'm not gving up eels because of yahoos and Asian elver markets. 

6 hours ago, PhotoManTrav said:

When I see comments like this, I get blown away out all I said, that was your take away. I feel very very sorry for how absolutely unhinged and angry you are on the daily basis to see this post and make up all that about me. 

Not angry at all. You have 1000's here still having a good time going out for Striped Bass. Some are catching, some are not....and now you are going to troll ethical on their efforts?  

1 hour ago, Chris76 said:

Just my experience.  Exactly how i described fishing them boat or shore. All about being in contact with eel and not allowing bass to run with it on liveliner.  I'm not gving up eels because of yahoos and Asian elver markets. 

That’s the problem we’re discussing. No one wants to give up doing what they’re doing. 

Here's today's example.

A half dozen of us are having coffee on the canal this AM. Three yahoos are fishing plastics, when one hooks up. Screaming, screeching, hollering.  It took all three to land it. 

The guy places his hand well inside the gill, and clearly intends to keep it.   Problem, the fish is obviously over the slot.  Several of us jumped him and tried explaining the fish was too big, has to be released.   

The man has NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.  To make matters worse, the DMF bass regulation sign is directly behind him, 5' away. But he refuses to read it.

We shamed the guy into measuring it, and he says in poor English, "it's over 31", what do you want, it's legal."

He still refuses to look at the DMF sign. But he knew something was wrong, and his buddy took the fish, and did a two handed tomahawk toss from the top of the rocks.  Looked like the fish was ok, in spite of the crude release.

But this is what we're up against. In spite of the regs literally right there, that fish would have gone home.

The Sultan of Sluggo

10 hours ago, PhotoManTrav said:

Hot take: I think people care way too much about part of the convo and it's such a small part of the issue given

1. How much limited access there is in Mass for residents who don't live in private suburbs such as Milton, Most of the cape, and Marblehead as example.
2. Most spots that aren't private access are well known about because there is so little access for so many. 

I just don't see spot burning going on as much as the claims are. 

No spot burning reported in Milton ;)

9 hours ago, PhotoManTrav said:

I love how you can read all that again and just hand wave it as "OMG Just get good". TY for proving exactly what I said. 

You post a manifesto looking for comments and then get some you don't like. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Here's today's example.

A half dozen of us are having coffee on the canal this AM. Three yahoos are fishing plastics, when one hooks up. Screaming, screeching, hollering.  It took all three to land it. 

The guy places his hand well inside the gill, and clearly intends to keep it.   Problem, the fish is obviously over the slot.  Several of us jumped him and tried explaining the fish was too big, has to be released.   

The man has NO IDEA WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.  To make matters worse, the DMF bass regulation sign is directly behind him, 5' away. But he refuses to read it.

We shamed the guy into measuring it, and he says in poor English, "it's over 31", what do you want, it's legal."

He still refuses to look at the DMF sign. But he knew something was wrong, and his buddy took the fish, and did a two handed tomahawk toss from the top of the rocks.  Looked like the fish was ok, in spite of the crude release.

But this is what we're up against. In spite of the regs literally right there, that fish would have gone home.

It’s mind boggling how many people don’t know the regulations for the hobby they are participating in. They just don’t give an eff about anything but themselves. 

There's no reason to have a commercial season for striped bass.

It's a short season. How many people go to a restaurant and say "oooh, striped bass is in the menu"?  Probably not many. Before I got into striped bass fishing I would never go to the super market to buy striper. And I don't know anyone else who did. And whenever I see "fresh caught" striped bass on a MA restaurant menu I refuse to pay $50+ for a striper meal when I can catch it myself and cook it better.

Just about everyone I know who commercially catches striped bass is doing it for supplemental income to pay for their boat or to pay for their fishing gear.

And the striper population is on the verge of collapsing again, so end all commercial fishing for it.

Edited by zak-striper

6 hours ago, z-man said:

56 mins ago, z-man said:

It’s mind boggling how many people don’t know the regulations for the hobby they are participating in. They just don’t give an eff about anything but themselves. 

I didn't mean to focus on the fact the man's English was poor.  But Z, you are absolutely right.

Regardless of what language you speak, does it not occur to you that there might be rules and regulations?  But in spite of the fact the DMF sign was a mere few feet away, they all refused to acknowledge it.   The only reason that fish went back was because they were outnumbered, and made it clear it can't be kept.

The Sultan of Sluggo

GAMEFISH STATUS...PERIOD.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan