Jump to content

Is it ethical in continuing to target Striped Bass?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Based on many of my conversations over the last few years with many anglers, it's pretty clear we are at an impasse for many. 

The shore bite is getting quieter and becoming a serious grind for many. The boat bike is getting very particular and finding the bait is slimming out. 

We see poaching happening and nothing happens when it gets reported, taking everything they catch. 

We see the abundance of drag nets in the Harbor working all hours of the day 7 days a week.

We got commercial captains taking in excess, saying the limits have 0 effect on the population.

All we get out of it is everyone pointing fingers all over the place, and no solutions really take place. 

Sure, slot limits and creel limits are good. We should have them. I'm just not sure how effective that is when there isn't the support to enforce nor honor it. 

I have many thoughts centered around my personal opinion of it, but if I had to focus on one thing that is really getting to me, are the amount of people flat out lying to others along the way.

"OH MY GOD IT'S LIGHT OUT! BOOK WITH LIGHTNING FISHING CHARTERS! WE GOT 4 OPEN SLOTS!"

"Oh your not catching? Pfft you're just a garbo fisherman then, I pulled in 16 bass yesterday! and 25 the day before, I'm just better than you" 

"Mind your business and stop being a hater. I'm feeding my family, this isn't hurting anything"

Most of the times these comments are just untrue, or selling you something. 

Many of my personal conversations with other anglers have been centered around stepping back from Striped bass fishing. It almost feels wrong at this point being apart of it. I know I'm just one person, and me stopping isn't going to stop this nonsense ego and pride fishing from continuing, but I honestly think change starts small. 

I won't sit here and pretend I'm some deep conservationist, and this isn't me preaching, but idk where I stand personally at this point fully. All I know is that, while there are a few who do care, there are way too many who don't. 

What do you guys think? 
 

Edited by PhotoManTrav
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, PhotoManTrav said:

Based on many of my conversations over the last few years with many anglers, it's pretty clear we are at an impasse for many. 

The shore bite is getting quieter and becoming a serious grind for many. The boat bike is getting very particular and finding the bait is slimming out. 

We see poaching happening and nothing happens when it gets reported, taking everything they catch. 

We see the abundance of drag nets in the Harbor working all hours of the day 7 days a week.

We got commercial captains taking in excess, saying the limits have 0 effect on the population.

All we get out of it is everyone pointing fingers all over the place, and no solutions really take place. 

Sure, slot limits and creel limits are good. We should have them. I'm just not sure how effective that is when there isn't the support to enforce nor honor it. 

I have many thoughts centered around my personal opinion of it, but if I had to focus on one thing that is really getting to me, are the amount of people flat out lying to others along the way.

"OH MY GOD IT'S LIGHT OUT! BOOK WITH LIGHTNING FISHING CHARTERS! WE GOT 4 OPEN SLOTS!"

"Oh your not catching? Pfft you're just a garbo fisherman then, I pulled in 16 bass yesterday! and 25 the day before, I'm just better than you" 

"Mind your business and stop being a hater. I'm feeding my family, this isn't hurting anything"

Most of the times these comments are just untrue, or selling you something. 

Many of my personal conversations with other anglers have been centered around stepping back from Striped bass fishing. It almost feels wrong at this point being apart of it. I know I'm just one person, and me stopping isn't going to stop this nonsense ego and pride fishing from continuing, but I honestly think change starts small. 

I won't sit here and pretend I'm some deep conservationist, and this isn't me preaching, but idk where I stand personally at this point fully. All I know is that, while there are a few who do care, there are way too many who don't. 

What do you guys think? 
 

All true. Too many people don’t care about the fish just care about the catching and bragging. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

Maybe less spot burning would help.


Hot take: I think people care way too much about part of the convo and it's such a small part of the issue given

1. How much limited access there is in Mass for residents who don't live in private suburbs such as Milton, Most of the cape, and Marblehead as example.
2. Most spots that aren't private access are well known about because there is so little access for so many. 

I just don't see spot burning going on as much as the claims are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, z-man said:

All true. Too many people don’t care about the fish just care about the catching and bragging. 


Normally on a fishing website you are going to see catching and some will call that bragging. It would be pretty dam boring not seeing Striped Bass photos on a striped bass website. The bottom line here is inferior feelings come from not catching. Just in human nature. Some piss and moan about it, some say congratulations to the angler. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PhotoManTrav said:

Based on many of my conversations over the last few years with many anglers, it's pretty clear we are at an impasse for many. 

The shore bite is getting quieter and becoming a serious grind for many. The boat bike is getting very particular and finding the bait is slimming out. 

We see poaching happening and nothing happens when it gets reported, taking everything they catch. 

We see the abundance of drag nets in the Harbor working all hours of the day 7 days a week.

We got commercial captains taking in excess, saying the limits have 0 effect on the population.

All we get out of it is everyone pointing fingers all over the place, and no solutions really take place. 

Sure, slot limits and creel limits are good. We should have them. I'm just not sure how effective that is when there isn't the support to enforce nor honor it. 

I have many thoughts centered around my personal opinion of it, but if I had to focus on one thing that is really getting to me, are the amount of people flat out lying to others along the way.

"OH MY GOD IT'S LIGHT OUT! BOOK WITH LIGHTNING FISHING CHARTERS! WE GOT 4 OPEN SLOTS!"

"Oh your not catching? Pfft you're just a garbo fisherman then, I pulled in 16 bass yesterday! and 25 the day before, I'm just better than you" 

"Mind your business and stop being a hater. I'm feeding my family, this isn't hurting anything"

Most of the times these comments are just untrue, or selling you something. 

Many of my personal conversations with other anglers have been centered around stepping back from Striped bass fishing. It almost feels wrong at this point being apart of it. I know I'm just one person, and me stopping isn't going to stop this nonsense ego and pride fishing from continuing, but I honestly think change starts small. 

I won't sit here and pretend I'm some deep conservationist, and this isn't me preaching, but idk where I stand personally at this point fully. All I know is that, while there are a few who do care, there are way too many who don't. 

What do you guys think? 
 


This is a Striped Bass website. What you are doing is putting Striped Bass on some type of moral high ground. I think you should sell all your gear in the BST forum, Donate a portion to "are" Humbled Headed Tyrant and Leader and buy yourself some cameras. We will survive. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't speak for anybody but myself. Striped Bass Fishing is not easy anymore. Number if reasons for it, less numbers, bad spawning years, tons of bait stuck at places like Stellwagon Bank and other places way over 3mile line. I also have myself to share the blame. For many reasons. Most importantly for catching and releasing and occasionally keeping one to eat. I believe the science and that says Recreational Anglers kill more bass than Commercial Anglers. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 mins ago, The Riddler said:


This is a Striped Bass website. What you are doing is putting Striped Bass on some type of moral high ground. I think you should sell all your gear in the BST forum, Donate a portion to "are" Humbled Headed Tyrant and Leader and buy yourself some cameras. We will survive. 


When I see comments like this, I get blown away out all I said, that was your take away. I feel very very sorry for how absolutely unhinged and angry you are on the daily basis to see this post and make up all that about me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I can't speak for anybody but myself. Striped Bass Fishing is not easy anymore. Number if reasons for it, less numbers, bad spawning years, tons of bait stuck at places like Stellwagon Bank and other places way over 3mile line. I also have myself to share the blame. For many reasons. Most importantly for catching and releasing and occasionally keeping one to eat. I believe the science and that says Recreational Anglers kill more bass than Commercial Anglers. 


Like I said, you wanna point fingers and blame just one person, you got right ahead. I won't anymore. Easy for so many to shrug and ignore the issue when you got your fair share of it years prior. I hope you find peace with all this anger you have towards me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 mins ago, The Riddler said:


Normally on a fishing website you are going to see catching and some will call that bragging. It would be pretty dam boring not seeing Striped Bass photos on a striped bass website. The bottom line here is inferior feelings come from not catching. Just in human nature. Some piss and moan about it, some say congratulations to the angler. 


I love how you can read all that again and just hand wave it as "OMG Just get good". TY for proving exactly what I said. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This web site will fade when there aren't enough fish left to catch and brag about. That's on the way if something isn't done to conserve what's left for spawning.  The Hudson fishery is just wrong wrong wrong. These managers need to shut that down a few days to make sure some make it. The poaching and pictures are killing fish here to breed. How can that be ok ? Too much pressure and way too much poaching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if recs kill more overall than comms, shore-based anglers contribute 1/10 of that. And given how slow fishing has been from shore, I think conservation-minded surfcasters do not contribute much to the overall mortality. By conservation-minded, I mean fish lures with a single hook, release them quickly, no hero measurements, etc. 3 sets of trebles or deadsticking bait and letting the fish swallow the hook (even if it's a circle) is another story.

 

All I will say is I feel bad for those who recently started surfcasting as you have no idea if what you are doing is wrong or if there are simply no fish around. 20 years ago there were schoolies everywhere so it was a lot easier to gain confidence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:


Normally on a fishing website you are going to see catching and some will call that bragging. It would be pretty dam boring not seeing Striped Bass photos on a striped bass website. The bottom line here is inferior feelings come from not catching. Just in human nature. Some piss and moan about it, some say congratulations to the angler. 

I wasn’t even thinking about here. People don’t even post much fishing reports here. I’m thinking more about instagram, Facebook, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...