Fly reel drags

Rate this topic

HL

I fish cork for everything but tarpon. There’s no need for anything more for those fish.

I have nautilus, I don’t care much for it due to the sloppy tolerances between the spool and the frame.

I enjoy fishing my Tibors most of all. The Abel Rove is a nice reel too.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Ideally I prefer a 1 turn drag with a limited maximum setting about 1/3 tippet strength (4-5 lbs for inshore stuff). 
Very simple to move and return to the same settings during use.  No uncertainty during the fight about how it is set.  In the rare situation I need very high drag I use my hands. 

Such drags are not without their share of problems, however, and serviceability is a major downside.

Edited by numbskull

I’m a cork drag fan also, but primarily I like a reel with the fewest moving parts, the old Bauer M series reels are the epitome,with no little screws, springs, pawls, etc that can break, get lost, get sand in them or get stuck. They are also very high  build quality, I have a pile of them.

JC

image.jpeg.368ddc9f040f19610ece117092fc5ba0.jpeg

Unless I'm consistently hooking 25-30# plus fish I set my drag on any type of reel just enough to prevent over run. Anything more needed is why God gave us thumbs, palms or forefingers. 

4 mins ago, SB59 said:

Unless I'm consistently hooking 25-30# plus fish I set my drag on any type of reel just enough to prevent over run. Anything more needed is why God gave us thumbs, palms or forefingers. 

Unless you have a 15# Jack Caravelle on the other end of your line. i.e. brushed knuckles 

Herb

3 hours ago, SB59 said:

Do you fish for false albacore that way?

I only have two reels in my rotation that have a cork drag I mostly use click reels I think sometimes the drag spooks the fish. Although for my winter fishing ill most likely get the new sage spey reels as they dont freeze like my other ones. 

3 hours ago, Redsurffshr said:

I’d like to find a few more Bauers. They complement my Tibors and Super Series Abel’s well. I like the form factor and weight especially.  IMG_3826.jpeg.f8fd304548defe76cbc5be5414e77643.jpeg

Check with Josh or Scott at the Bear's Den in Taunton, MA

spool.jpg.ad347560c19433f13f06d00c41752a84.jpg

Currently have aphasia.    Aphasia is a result of my head stroke causing a bleed.   Happened in my Maine vacation in July (2021).   Lucky me less than 1% of people get stroke aphasia.  :(      I'm making project but have been told this is easily 5 months to 1 year for this to improve.   Until then hope you don't mind making sense with what I text.   HT

Bluefin60lb1003.jpg.ad3922837637b3a12aeac62b4195f813.jpgI think cork drags work very well - Back in the day, fishing with Nate and Derick of "first light Anglers, I have caught school Bluefin up to  70lbs on a 14 wt with a Tibor Gulfstream - with the rod bent double raising a deep sounding fish the reel had plenty of drag.

Other examples of the Tibor Gulfstream drag performance.

The greatest IGFA fly-rod tarpon catch of all time, amazingly only 8 pounds shy of the 20-pound tippet record. An outstanding catch on 12-pound tippet, likely to never be beaten

12lbtippittarpn.jpg.fe7983edccfef14d7411e60da8700546.jpg

Weight: 194 pounds, 8 ounces Line Class: M-12 (fly) Angler: Thomas M. Evans Jr. Location: Pine Island, Florida Date: May 10, 2010 Fight Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes Lure/Bait: Brown Toad fly Tackle: Rio line; Tibor Gulfstream reel; Biscayne 12-weight rod Captain: Al Dopirak Courtesy IGFA / igfa.org