A/C guys...condensate drain line Q. Befuddled

Rate this topic

Saturday a piece of my garage ceiling comes down....water.  Coming from the A/C.  Daughters bedroom ceiling stained with a minor discolored drip as well.  Majority of it ran down the wall into the garage ceiling I guess.

I shut it down, and head up into the attic.  Pan under the handler is mostly dry, pretty damn dry actually.   But there is definately water on the plywood below the trap, the trap and insulation on it are wet, and the plywood ends just past the trap so it would have run into the insulation and ceiling/wall below.

I pushed the brush that was there in a holder through the trap.  There was some schmutz....but I wouldnt think enough to clog it.  I dont know how much is enough to create a problem.  Maybe it grows like a sponge and is enough to ****** flow, allowing overflow, but not completely stop it?  

2nd thought was that something was frozen?  Said eff it, lets let everything sit and heat up - went to the beach.

Came back, turned it on around 4PM.  Water is exiting the pvc drain outside at a very fast rate, as it should.  Went back upstairs to put the float switch back in the trap - for the life of me I couldnt see water coming out of the handler and going into the trap.  Yet, again, it is exiting outside the house at a really fast drip rate.  Baffled.  But figured it was running around a seam in the pvc or whatnot and I just couldnt see it, let it run.  Around 11PM daughter has more drips in the ceiling.   F me, run up and crawl to handler.  No visible water under trap as last time.

Was it leaking again?  Was it existing water that somehow moved or made it through?  I dont know.

I keep coming back to the question - how much gunk is too much in the trap.  Didnt seem like much to me - but if thats what did it, I think I'm OK.  Otherwise I'm stumped and probably need to call an HVAC place.

Oh, and I played with the float switch.  Didnt seem to turn anything off.  So if you only need a little gunk to block the trap, I guess it could have backed up, although the float switch seemed like it made a pretty tight seal and water wouldnt leak past it.

Thoughts?

Edited by makorider

Drain in pan stopped up and the fan picked up water and blew it into supply plenum,  feel underneath supply and return to see if duct/insulation  is  full of water

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

Plastic pan or metal? 

The trap won't operate correctly  without the float switch in it, vent on negative pressure side.

Plastic pans are bad about cracking, the water leaks onto plywood,  then goes where it wants.

how lucky am i

to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard

Shooting a coon in a 60ft tree out of a boat in the dark holding a flashlight can be tricky. ..

You can buy cleaning tablets that you throw in the drip pan than will dissolve and kill and growth in the drainage system. 
I would pour some water in the pan and see if you see any leaks. I had a crack in my pan that was leaking slowly. Patched it up with some flex seal glue and has been good for a couple years. 

1 hour ago, redfishkiller said:

Plastic pan or metal? 

The trap won't operate correctly  without the float switch in it, vent on negative pressure side.

Plastic pans are bad about cracking, the water leaks onto plywood,  then goes where it wants.

Plastic Pan.  OK...maybe I effed up w/out the float switch

58 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Maybe the additional water in your daughter's room was just residual. 

Thats whay I was trying to say/hoping was the case

48 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Based on the really hot days we've had, is it possible insulation around a supply or the suction line is broken and it's just pouring sweat? 

No, looked pretty good at that.

Had a similar problem a couple years ago.  Couldn’t find an obvious crack in plastic pan so I used flex seal tape on best guess around supports that sit in the pan.  First made sure drain wasn’t plugged, changed filter, had tech check refrigerant but only could add very small amount.  For 2 weeks daily chore was to wet vac a couple qts out of overflow pan.  Drips from underside of air handler. Then didn’t need ac for a couple weeks.  When we went back to using it apparently had dried out or got hot enough for flex seal tape to actually seal it.  Hasn’t leak again. 
Float switch on the pan is worthless imho.  They make better switches. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black