Visiting San Diego

Rate this topic

Visiting San Diego next week and planing to hit a beach for a day or two.

No wait n bait, just lures

Bringing 10' rod, rated 1/2 to 2 oz, lite reel size 4K, small poppers, little necks, SP minnows, small tins/metal, and casting bubbles with bonito flies.

Should I bring something else?

Any input from local guys would be appreciated.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Do you have  Facebook account? The FB group "California Surf Fishing" has a ton of members from that area who are willing to share. (this forum seems to be dying out, I dunno why, maybe the action is on social media now?) They seem to be getting plenty of corbina, halibut, white sea bass, croakers, and perch lately.  Even the odd striper!

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. 

3 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Do you have  Facebook account?

Thanks but no.

Only social media that I have is a fishing forum.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

I replied to your post in the bloody forum... I think a little lighter gear would be more productive... The LC lures do work really well, but usually means a lot of work for a payoff... I like lighter gear with sand crabs or blood worms on a C-rig... It's a little early in the season for bonito... Are  you planning on strictly beach fishing or thinking of piers and Jettys?... Because shore fishing for bonito can be pretty tough... Anyway.. Welcome back to So. CA...

Butch

Thanks Butch

11 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

There is a SD Fishing forum as well...

Butch

- Henry Ford-

On 6/24/2024 at 9:21 AM, Midnightpass said:

I replied to your post in the bloody forum... I think a little lighter gear would be more productive... The LC lures do work really well, but usually means a lot of work for a payoff... I like lighter gear with sand crabs or blood worms on a C-rig... It's a little early in the season for bonito... Are  you planning on strictly beach fishing or thinking of piers and Jettys?... Because shore fishing for bonito can be pretty tough... Anyway.. Welcome back to So. CA...

Butch

On 6/24/2024 at 8:39 PM, Popasilov said:

Hello Pop and Butch,

I agree with Butch. For your best shot a a hookup, ultralight set up tossing Gulp sand worms on a small light hook. Small sliding sinker behind a swivel. This will catch most stuff, especially surf perch. If you want to play with corbina, which is a ton of fun, replace the Gulp with mole crabs you catch in the wash. Being a surf guy, you'll figure it out quickly. 

Tight lines!

JD

So far,

Fishing has not been much fun, but spending time with my daughter priceless.

Crazy parking, not used to all this beach traffic, no fishing designated beaches that I could found and madness all around.

I had a chance to spend maybe an hour on Shelter Island beach, but weed was all over the channel.

I spend two hours fishing on Lake Jennings, just 15 minutes away from my daughter house.

We may be able to hit a ocean beach tomorrow, somewhere outside of San Diego.

Will see.

- Henry Ford-

On 7/4/2024 at 4:51 PM, Popasilov said:

So far,

Fishing has not been much fun, but spending time with my daughter priceless.

Crazy parking, not used to all this beach traffic, no fishing designated beaches that I could found and madness all around.

I had a chance to spend maybe an hour on Shelter Island beach, but weed was all over the channel.

I spend two hours fishing on Lake Jennings, just 15 minutes away from my daughter house.

We may be able to hit a ocean beach tomorrow, somewhere outside of San Diego.

Will see.

Hope you found better conditions….. One of the busiest weeks of the year for the beach.. I do all of my surf fishing early weekday mornings… Before the crowds show up… Good luck and have fun….

Butch