Best size van staal for bucktail set up

Rate this topic

Jack517

This may have been asked before I’m sure, but is there a chart that shows the VS reel sizes and how they match up to standard reel sizes?

Edited by bellows

6 mins ago, bellows said:

This may have been asked before I’m sure, but is there a chart that shows the VS reel sizes and how they match up to standard reel sizes?

Standard reel sizes don’t exist. One company’s 5000 sized reel can be in a completely different class than another ones. Even different models from the same company can be sized differently. If you aren’t going to have the reel in your hand, you really just need to make an educated guess based on line capacity, weight, and drag ratings to determine what rod it’s suitable for.

2 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Standard reel sizes don’t exist. One company’s 5000 sized reel can be in a completely different class than another ones. Even different models from the same company can be sized differently. If you aren’t going to have the reel in your hand, you really just need to make an educated guess based on line capacity, weight, and drag ratings to determine what rod it’s suitable for.

I understand that reel sizes are different from manufacturer. But when someone says a 5000 reel or a 2500 reel, you have an idea in your head about the size. It may not be exact but, it’s in the ballpark. VS using size designations that are totally different makes that confusing. 

Figure out how much line you’ll need (target species, anticipated cast distance, etc) and then get the reel that holds an appropriate amount. 

There’s no universal “best size,” just a best size for your particular application. 

Edited by Camhabib

This will depend on the size of fish, current, structure and bt weight thrown/ rod rating.

200 will take care of the heavy end 150 for the lighter.

Love my 150 but often feel under gunned when cranking on larger fish.

200 has more power.

2 mins ago, LowEnd said:

This will depend on the size of fish, current, structure and bt weight thrown/ rod rating.

200 will take care of the heavy end 150 for the lighter.

Love my 150 but often feel under gunned when cranking on larger fish.

200 has more power.

You beat me to it bro!! Your the only one who mentioned current.... You can use a 150 in light moderate current 1/2oz-2oz BT's and have enough confidence to get that slob on land but the 200 is a must if your chucking 3-4oz in ripping current.. There's no such thing as an ideal set up until you know the conditions :wave: