Plovers, I don’t get it?

Rate this topic

dannyplug1

What’s so important about the plover?  I am a staunch environmentalist, but I don’t see it.  There are many species that are under threat.  Why this particular species?  Is it that it’s a wedge issue the rich use to keep people off their beaches?  For years they have been putting up fences.  And they put em closer and closer to the water and earlier and they stay up later and later.  Is this protection doing any good are the making progress.  Or are they fighting a loosing battle that excludes more and more people from enjoying the dwindling acess to the shore?  Just wondering

I’m sure there’s some sort of political wedge issue where they’ve made it such a big problem for so long stopping to do so now will just discredit everything that’s been done previously for wildlife protection within the state cause whatever they possibly do it’s not working. Between the closures, the fox killings, the ebike madness, the fences the damn birds still find a way to nest right in a damn tire track. At the end of the day the only people who don’t want us off the beach are us, there will always be a battle against general access and 4x4 access. So be respectful to laws and rules that are already in place, back up organizations that fight for your access and understand that the same way you like protecting that fish after you catch it there’s someone out there doing the same for those birds. We think they’re crazy and they think we’re crazy. 

Edited by HYB_Living

38 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

What’s so important about the plover?  I am a staunch environmentalist, but I don’t see it.  There are many species that are under threat.  Why this particular species?  Is it that it’s a wedge issue the rich use to keep people off their beaches?  For years they have been putting up fences.  And they put em closer and closer to the water and earlier and they stay up later and later.  Is this protection doing any good are the making progress.  Or are they fighting a loosing battle that excludes more and more people from enjoying the dwindling acess to the shore?  Just wondering

It's a good indicator species that your coast is overdeveloped if they have no where to nest. Last few years its just been some unlucky spring storms and predation issues (opossum and fox) Can't speak for any local politics in action but the core concern is legit. 

Despite the effort to save this bird for the last 20 odd years I’ll go out on a limb and say it isn’t working.

Access is closed off, they shoot the foxes and still no rebound.

Eagle’s have made a come back, this dumb bird had its chance.

Sorry, time to say good bye!

I look at it this way. There are a number of speices that are doomed such as the plover, bobwhite quail, monarch butterfly (pick any animal that has severely declining numbers) but taking measures to protect them will also protect numerous other species that do have a chance at long term survival and for me that's worth worth the closures and other protection measures. 

4 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Despite the effort to save this bird for the last 20 odd years I’ll go out on a limb and say it isn’t working.

Access is closed off, they shoot the foxes and still no rebound.

Eagle’s have made a come back, this dumb bird had its chance.

Sorry, time to say good bye!

They seem to have rebounded pretty well here in MA. They are all over the place. Now that means even more closures.