Is it okay to throw heavier lures than the rod rating?

Rate this topic

Jack517

Imo most of these rod ratings are approximate..  an ounce here or there is not going to make a difference. 

Am pretty sure (unless it is a handmade special custom rod carefully tested and calculated to cast exactly a max of 3oz ) that most rods have quite a leeway either side of the weight ratings... and somewhere in between the low and high rating will be a sweet spot. And even that will vary rod to rod.

People are getting too hung up on the marketing numbers... I need 10 rods to be able to cast all my lures now...  strange as years ago I had one rod that cast all those same weight lures no problem.

53 mins ago, Jack517 said:

I’m looking to get a rod that only has a rating up to 3oz, I have some plugs than are a bit heavier than 3oz around 3.5 or 4oz, I just wanna make sure I don’t mess up my new rod.

Depending on the rod, sometimes the rating is lower than what it can actually do, I guess it takes an educated feel to know the difference not sure. 

My 10-ft prevail rated 1 to 4 oz I typically throw five with it and it doesn't feel stressed at all. 

Maybe you can find a rod That's rated 1 to 4 oz. 

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

The lure ratings on most rods are pretty un-scientific.  It's going to depend on the exact rod but I have lots of rods that can handle above their weight range, and many that will not.   The 8' legend surf thats rated to 3 oz I'll throw 4.5 on it no problem, and really lay into it.  Other rods feel a little too loaded even at their stated max range.  Really just takes some feel to know what rod can do what. 

1 hour ago, Jack517 said:

I’m looking to get a rod that only has a rating up to 3oz, I have some plugs than are a bit heavier than 3oz around 3.5 or 4oz, I just wanna make sure I don’t mess up my new rod.

If you have plugs that are 4 ozs, why get a rod rated for 3oz.

I can understand that folks want a 1 oz rod for light stuff, but a rod that'll throw light stuff well won't be good for heavy stuff :howdy:

AKN-2 USS Sagittarius

BE ENCOURAGING, NOT DISCOURAGING

<*((())))>< <*((())))><

34 mins ago, jimmy z said:

If you have plugs that are 4 ozs, why get a rod rated for 3oz.

I can understand that folks want a 1 oz rod for light stuff, but a rod that'll throw light stuff well won't be good for heavy stuff :howdy:

Def makes sense,,I'd do just that.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

Most rod manufacturers ratings are a joke. Indicate the rod/blank that your interested in and I'm someone here will chime in on what the limitations and capabilities are before you purchase it.

the blank's material and design has a lot to do with it too. a glass rod might feel overloaded and soupy above it's rating, but you probably couldn't break it if you tried.  a thin walled high modulus graphite rod might explode on you even when casting a lure within its advertised range.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.