Ultralight Inshore Fun!

Rate this topic

Hi all, 

Thought I would share one of my favorite fishing styles with you all. 

I’m an avid multi-species angler - while I certainly love catching some big fish, I just love going out and catching all sorts of cool species that inhabit our coastal waters. One technique I’ve started to use a lot is ultralight tackle - this allows me to target all sorts of species effectively. 

Now, fish safety is a HUGE priority to me. If I hook something bigger on ultralight tackle, my priority is getting the fish in as soon as possible, and handling the fish as best I can. To accomplish this, I use what is fundamentally an ultralight setup on steroids. My setup recently has been: 

- 6’6” Ugly Stik Lite Pro UL: While this rod is still an ultralight, it’s strong and durable. It makes fighting smaller fish fun, but if I hook something bigger on it, I can torque fish hard and get them in pretty quick. This rod is insane, I’ve bent the rod a clear 90 degrees. 
- Daiwa Crossfire LT 2000: Great budget reel with a super smooth drag system. I load it up with 10 Ib Yo-Zuri braid, and use a 15-20 Ib monofilament leader. The braid gives me that extra strength when fighting bigger fish, if needed. 

The redfish that you see in the attachments was caught on this setup. While it took me a few minutes to get in, I was able to torque it hard and get it in and not be irresponsible with it. 

A lot of times, I’ll use this in the marsh, or from shore. I use small live baits (like shrimp), dead bait, and artificials frequently on this setup. It’s a blast. 

This isn’t something I would recommend you do with a simple panfish setup - you really need to choose the right tackle. It is best for the fish and best for you. 

IMG_8790.jpeg

IMG_8791.jpeg

IMG_8792.jpeg

Edited by FiveFathomsDeep

My buddy who is always breaking expensive rods resorted to buying cheaper ones now. His latest catch from shore was a nice fat 21in Tog on a  berkley cherrywood / tsunami something 2000 size reel. The rod looked like it was about to explode.

Huge fan of UL fishing as well.  I use a similar setup. Ugly Stik & Penn 722z, 14lb Fireline and 12lb leader.  

Last summer my biggest issue was wind.  I just couldn't cast.  Wind would throw the lure right back at me.  

So when I can do, I do.  

My lone disappointment from a just completed SW FL trip this past week was the lack of multi species, despite experiencing superb success with the primary species I was focused on (snook). I caught in excess of 50-60 fish, and all but one was a snook (the one exception being a jack). I enjoy catching a variety even when after a primary species.

Don't complain there are many people who go yo SWFL and don't catch any snook.  They are by far the best sport fish in FL,with the exception of Tarpon.  I live in SWFL for half the yr and have caught almost all the inshore fish, but tops on the list is Snook.

On 6/29/2024 at 8:18 AM, albacized said:

My lone disappointment from a just completed SW FL trip this past week was the lack of multi species, despite experiencing superb success with the primary species I was focused on (snook). I caught in excess of 50-60 fish, and all but one was a snook (the one exception being a jack). I enjoy catching a variety even when after a primary species.

U poor thing!:violin:

I miss fishing FL.  Like u said. The variety is so much fun.