Epoxy finish, how do yours hold up?

Rate this topic

I’m curious to know, based on experience of most of you who have been at this a lot longer than I have, what kind of lifespan I should be expecting from from an epoxy finish. I typically epoxy seal, prime (BIN) paint, then finish with 2 coats of e-tex.  Mine hold up better than Gibbs and some of the other wood I have but still looks like this after 25 or 30 fish. Could I be doing better? IMG_3862.jpeg.97a1fda4f01b96d3db3f7bc70a7ab4c0.jpeg

On 6/21/2024 at 7:50 PM, strats'n'stripers said:

I’m curious to know, based on experience of most of you who have been at this a lot longer than I have, what kind of lifespan I should be expecting from from an epoxy finish. I typically epoxy seal, prime (BIN) paint, then finish with 2 coats of e-tex.  Mine hold up better than Gibbs and some of the other wood I have but still looks like this after 25 or 30 fish. Could I be doing better? IMG_3862.jpeg.97a1fda4f01b96d3db3f7bc70a7ab4c0.jpeg

I think that there is always room for improvement and always something to learn..

troll #122  <*)))<

If your baggin' 25-30 fish on a plug, I'd say your finish is just exactly perfect !! The fish seem to love it !!! In all seriousness, I've never had my e-tex finishes look ' new' for long.... doesn't bother me at all... they're wooden plugs and not meant to last forever. If I have a ' good one', I might re-epoxy it... but as a rule I fish em till there dead and make more ...

6 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I think that there is always room for improvement and always something to learn..

The wood I used for that batch was pretty soft with a loose grain, which I definitely gets chewed up sooner. They swam so well I’m reluctant to change anything though. 

4 hours ago, Mandoborg said:

If your baggin' 25-30 fish on a plug, I'd say your finish is just exactly perfect !! The fish seem to love it !!! In all seriousness, I've never had my e-tex finishes look ' new' for long.... doesn't bother me at all... they're wooden plugs and not meant to last forever. If I have a ' good one', I might re-epoxy it... but as a rule I fish em till there dead and make more ...

I’m definitely not complaining. I’m happy to catch fish, and getting them on homemade stuff feels pretty good. I’ve tried making a lot of different stuff but I’ve stumbled upon something really good with these ones. I’ve got a couple left from the last batch and enough to make 5 more. That should keep me going! Might try Devcon or something else for the next ones. 

I don't think any finish is hook proof, that's what it looks like to me. The rest of your finish looks to have held up well.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

Epoxy covered wood vs sharp steel hooks powered by an angry fish, hooks win. This is just part of wooden plug building. After 25-30 fish I have some plugs that have faired better, others, not so much. Lots of variables there.

19 hours ago, afterhours said:

I don't think any finish is hook proof, that's what it looks like to me. The rest of your finish looks to have held up well.

X2 on afterhours input... If you feel like it, you might try "T-ing" the belly hook to reduce hook rash/digging on the belly. It can help and doesn't typically change the action of the plug or hook up percentage (if anything, it might actually improve hook up percentage). As Bassmaster notes, some plug shapes and actions are just more prone to hook rash. That's where I'll try "T-ing" a belly hook.

9 hours ago, 1VW said:

X2 on afterhours input... If you feel like it, you might try "T-ing" the belly hook to reduce hook rash/digging on the belly. It can help and doesn't typically change the action of the plug or hook up percentage (if anything, it might actually improve hook up percentage). As Bassmaster notes, some plug shapes and actions are just more prone to hook rash. That's where I'll try "T-ing" a belly hook.

I’ve heard of the musky guys doing that. May be worth a try.  I’m not too concerned with how they look, just worried they will take on water due to too much exposed wood. 

Here in Joisey, Lefty used to use Eagle Claw trebles that had the tips turned in just slightly, to keep them from digging in. Seemed to work.

Is this what  you meant by T-ing?

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

BKK raptor hooks have turned in points that won't dig.  one other thing you could try would be a few dips in propionate solution before your regular sealing to harden-up the outer layer of wood.  I always found that softer woods held up better sealed that way compared to oil.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Wooden plugs are meant to be fished, beat up, and then either hung up for the memories or re-sealed so the beatings can be resumed. Don't be too hard on yourself if a tool looks used hahahaha

Nothing is going to prevent chipping and hookrash unless you start making resin plugs. The biggest factor to what you have pictured is the expansion and contraction of the wood. That is what inevitably leads to peeling and flaking of epoxy/paint/primer. Denser wood will help, but you will encounter other issues related to that choice.

All that to say, fish em hard and enjoy it. A beat up plug means you've had some good times. You can always make another one.