Corolla / surf fishing in June

Rate this topic

Good morning, 

Just got into Corolla last night, I brought the fishing gear with me but honestly haven't done any serious fishing in a long time. Grew up fishing and trying to back at it.. 

I've read through the pinned post about fishing the Outer Banks which is very helpful.

Not Looking for anyone's secret holes but just some general guidance to try some beach casting. Looks like live bait the best option, what else is working at the moment. Which rigs are working best?  

Can I drive onto the beaches or do I need a parking pass? Permit?  Have 4x4

Looking forward to start figuring it out.. just looking for a launching point. 

Thanks. Vincent 

Corolla/Carova – No permit required to drive, but during the season, a permit is required to park* 4WD vehicles can access the beach at the northern end of NC 12 where the paved road ends. 4WD access north of this point is permitted year round.

https://www.visitcurrituck.com/visitor-info/beach-driving-tips/

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

High low rig (carolina rig),4 oz weight, #2 hooks, shrimp and or sandfleas (pink or orange fish bite strips added helps).

Don't cast for the moon...drop your rig just behind the breakers. There are two sandbars that run parallel to the

shore. You want to drop into the trough just behind either one of them.

Right now the water is rough with many rips, double red flags out everywhere!

Fish next to a rip!

Edited by Cephalopholis
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.....Baffle 'em with bull sheet

From Corolla to Bonner bridge pier is about 40 minutes. There is no structure in Corolla. There is minimal fish, besides the piers. Head there ( Bonner ) and you will have the best chance to catch something significant. It's the closest area that has a good bite to you. Stop by TW's and they will share in the know.

Edited by pilotman

"It's the closest area that has a good bite to you. "

as a full time local.....WRONG!!!

you might not get the big drum that you get further south,

but depending on when you go...

Up here we've been killin the Spanish, specks, mullet, spot...

A guy pulled in a really nice striper from my neck of the woods the other day (no pier just beach)

And if your into it, the shark fishing in Corolla can be crazy!

@Cephalopholis, thanks. Been out this past 2 mornings and it's heavenly. No fish tho.. But loosing bait...lol..I assume it's crabs that are cleaning my hooks.? 

I will get fish bites, any other suggestions.? Not interested in going too far a field as have kids with me. Just like to get out for a couple hours in the morning before they rise 

PXL_20240625_113220516.jpg

The water has been a bit rough (as in longshore currents) for the northern beaches lately, but calmed down today.

In Nags head area folks been catching (today) BLUES, CROAKER, FLOUNDER, SAND PERCH, SEA MULLET, TRIGGERFISH, BLACK DRUM, and SHEEPSHEAD. If your still coming up squat up there, you might try going a little further south nearer to the ACE (army core engineers) Pier in Duck?

I've been told that they are biting  up there out back in the sound, but you need something that floats to get you out a bit as shore bite is nada.

Most important part is to just have fun- Tight lines!

Edited by Cephalopholis

OH SNAP -where is my head? Been living here sooo long I tend to forget...

Duck is nasty and wont let you park or give you access to their beaches unless your are staying there.

Southern Shores will not pay attention to you crossing over to the beach, but you need a residents parking pass

to park (if someone can drop you off your gold).

The closest place to park free and clear with beach access is Kitty Hawk. There is a short pier right behind the Hilton that is productive from the shore next to it (that's my go to). Even that is a lot closer than traveling all the way down to Bonner bridge.

But if your still coming up short, and can find the time, pilotman is right about the bridge (and it's so nice there as well).

You can call up or go to BoB's bait and tackle in Duck for current bite conditions closer to where you are right now.

Hope this helps?

Posted (edited)

Thanks @Cephalopholis. This is very helpful. I ended up pulling In a couple of small flounder on shrimp late yesterday morning as I was wrapping up. Not keepers, but it was something... Can't get out today, so will try again tomorrow.

I was going to try the sound side behind whale head. What rig do you recommend to get out.. Just a float and bait dropping below it a couple feet? 

Edited by vmcmahon

I've never had any luck on the sound side up there without the use of a boat (something that floats), to get out to the channel.:shrug:

Most shore bound people use chicken pieces tied with a long string to pull in crabs behind whale head.

Just a heads up... the sound that far north is considered fresh water and you need a fresh water license to fish there legally ;^)

Edited by Cephalopholis