Rickwood field game tonight

Rate this topic

Very special event for MLB tonight, a game at the oldest field in the country, Rickwood field, in Birmingham. 

Wife and I were traveling from Memphis to Atlanta 2 months ago on our baseball stadium tour, and learned about Rickwood along the way.  So glad we stopped in.  It's an amazing piece of baseball history.  Hundreds of Hall of Fame players have been on the field and record show that as many as 13 at one time! 

It looks very different from when we were there 2 months ago and the renovations will make it a thriving ball park for college, minor league and travel teams going forward.

20240410_112555.jpg.375fcfd2fc9dceb72ad14a08c8c088b7.jpg

20240410_112633.jpg.46cb3831a77b434d3cef04a380873503.jpg

20240410_112911.jpg.540756ddd9efb77ca9471f367ad605d7.jpg

20240410_113950.jpg.971ac995f9e3c8026c30a4c494e8ae88.jpg

Edited by Kings over Queens

#otterlivesmatter

Stadiums with history are great places to visit.

I went to the Negro Baseball HOF in KC, I thought it was about as interesting as Cooperstown, that would be, not very. Kind of like indoor cemeteries, plaque room in Cooperstown is as boring as it gets. As I was only familiar with a handful of players names and I never saw a Negro league game, it was like bringing me to a HOF in another country from another time. I guess I'm just not the museum type.

Folks love Cooperstown, nice town, not much there, Canton is no place to want to be except if your in the HOF, probably the best of the athletic HOF's I've been to. NBA HOF in Springfield, MA is another museum that can be missed and there is not much lost, bad town, mediocre displays and history.

Best HOF is the U.S. Marine Corp. Museum in Quantico, VA, free to the public, of course they aced it.  It's not actually a HOF, but it recognizes great Americans in an honest and sincere way. Loved it. 

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM