Van Staal vr75 Line Capacity?

Rate this topic

TravHale

I just picked up a vr75 to try out and am skeptical of the posted line capacities from Van Staal I'm seeing online. I'm planning on using 30lb braid (Sufix 832), and am wondering if I need to order 300yrds or more to properly fill the vr75 spool. 

Posted (edited)
39 mins ago, HYB_Living said:

You’re going to need some backing anyways. Assuming you’re targeting inshore species with a smaller reel there’s not a reason I can think of for needing more than 300 yards of braid 

Looking for braid capacity of the reel from anyone that has filled theirs with straight 30lb braid. I do not use backing. 

Edited by TravHale

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Kuro, I'll order a 300yrd spool. I filled one of my slow pitch jigging setups with 30lb j-braid, and noticed it seemed to be a bit thinner than the 30lb Sufix 832 i'm use to. 

Have you had any issues with your vr75? 

Edited by TravHale

Mine took 400 yds of 10# Maxcuatro if that helps. Considering it is supposed to be 25% thinner in diameter (and it was 10#) I would think 300 of 30# woud be about right.

"A land without memories is a people without liberty" - Robert E. Lee

I just spooled up mine a few weeks back with 15# cortland master braid and it used over 400 yards (I used about 30-40 feet of 30# mono to start (would have used 20#, but it was only stuff I had on hand) as I don't trust straight braid to a Van Staal or may reels for that matter). I am glad I bought the 2500yrd spool because this reel used quite a bit more than I originally thought it would.

You should be fine with a 300 yard spool if you use some mono backer (which as mentioned, I always do on a Van Staal).

Edited by FallenKell

2 mins ago, FallenKell said:

I just spooled up mine a few weeks back with 15# cortland master braid and it used over 400 yards (I used about 30-40 feet of 30# mono to start (would have used 20#, but it was only stuff I had on hand) as I don't trust straight braid to a Van Staal or may reels for that matter). I am glad I bought the 2500yrd spool because this reel used quite a bit more than I originally thought it would.

The vr75 holds a ton of line for its size for sure. I've done some more digging around, and it does seem 300yrds of 30lb will fill the spool nicely, so I ordered a 300yrd spool. I use a specific technique to tie braid to spinning reels, and it hasn't let me down yet. Then I flip the line every season or so depending on how much use it gets. 

Posted (edited)

Well, I received the reel yesterday, and something isn’t right with it. I knew the reel would be a little tight and geary, but I didn’t expect what I got. The reel is no doubt very tight and geary, but when reeled slow the gears catch in spots and stop it from spinning and feel like they are not meshing correctly. It’s also very loud and sounds like a cheap reel that’s been dunked in the water and fished all day. Honestly, it sounds like the reel is not lubricated, but there is grease on the spool shaft. I thought at first the rotor was rubbing against the body, but I removed it and the noise is coming from inside the gear case. Looks like I’m boxing this one up and going to try to exchange if they have another in stock. I have to assume this isn’t normal for these reels? 

Edited by TravHale

The VS VR reels crank a little differently than others … but not “grinding” in any way. Must be the lube / grease job. They are great reels per their serviceable design, IMO.

RockfishOn!! :cool:

On 6/23/2024 at 7:43 AM, KironaFly said:

The VS VR reels crank a little differently than others … but not “grinding” in any way. Must be the lube / grease job. They are great reels per their serviceable design, IMO.

I've got it boxed up and am shipping it back today, but am debating giving it another shot and exchanging it for a new reel, or going with something different. The rods I'm using have Fuji reel seats, and only about 3mm of the rear reel foot fits into the the seat--not great. Once tightened down, I could not get the reel to move within the seat, but I don't know if it would give me problems while fighting a fish, which has be on the fence about matching this reel with these rods.