Line getting caught on knot between braid and backing

Rate this topic

Rob A

Last night the fish were right at the end of my cast.  Had to cut off braid couple times recently when snagged so wasn't a full spool.  Right at the end of my cast the line kept getting caught on the knot between my braid and backing.  Not the first time this has happened to me when the line gets low.  I use a double uni and cut off the tag ends as close to the knot as possible.  This was my light fluking setup so the mono I used for backing was only 6 lb test.  Where in the spool do you want that knot?  Feel like I've tried in the middle and at both ends of spool and had similar issues.   Any tips would be appreciated.      

Double uni is quick to tie and strong, but not smooth or compact.  Try something like an FG or a bimini twist with a bristol knot.  That's what I use.  It's strong, compact and smooth, but, unfortunately, not quick to tie.

28 mins ago, Rob A said:

Last night the fish were right at the end of my cast.  Had to cut off braid couple times recently when snagged so wasn't a full spool.  Right at the end of my cast the line kept getting caught on the knot between my braid and backing.  Not the first time this has happened to me when the line gets low.  I use a double uni and cut off the tag ends as close to the knot as possible.  This was my light fluking setup so the mono I used for backing was only 6 lb test.  Where in the spool do you want that knot?  Feel like I've tried in the middle and at both ends of spool and had similar issues.   Any tips would be appreciated.      

I don't want that knot anywhere.  fill the whole spool with braid.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

39 mins ago, Rob A said:

end of my cast the line kept getting caught on the knot between my braid and backing

you don't want to be into your backing knot at the end of a cast....time to add some more braid...so that's #1.  you really don't even want to be into your backing with a large fish on unless there's no other option.

in terms of a smoother transition btw backing + braid, you can try some other knots where the tag ends lie flat.  a uni-to-uni will have the tags sticking straight out.  so, you can get a nail knot tool & tie back-to-back nail knots.  a very similar knot to uni-to-uni, but the tags will lie flatter.  if you don't want a tool, you can get tie an improved albright or alberto which will have a similar effect.

lastly, if you really wanted to, you can coat the knot in UV-activity epoxy or even just superglue....make sure it's dry to the touch....then reel the braid back on.

1 hour ago, jigmaster5 said:

you don't want to be into your backing knot at the end of a cast....time to add some more braid...so that's #1.  you really don't even want to be into your backing with a large fish on unless there's no other option.

in terms of a smoother transition btw backing + braid, you can try some other knots where the tag ends lie flat.  a uni-to-uni will have the tags sticking straight out.  so, you can get a nail knot tool & tie back-to-back nail knots.  a very similar knot to uni-to-uni, but the tags will lie flatter.  if you don't want a tool, you can get tie an improved albright or alberto which will have a similar effect.

lastly, if you really wanted to, you can coat the knot in UV-activity epoxy or even just superglue....make sure it's dry to the touch....then reel the braid back on.

I wasn't into the backing at the end of cast.  Was good amount of braid on reel, it was just catching on the knot.  I thought double uni was pretty low profile but looks like I have to try a new knot.

1 hour ago, EBHarvey said:

I don't want that knot anywhere.  fill the whole spool with braid.

You don't use any backing?  I've had reels in the past I filled with all braid and the line slipped on reel.  

1 hour ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

FULL SPOOL OR BLOOD KNOT. NOTHING ELSE.

1 hour ago, Bass Ketchum said:

Blood knot is really good for the backing to braid connection, when done right they are super small profile 

Have never used a blood knot.  Looked it up and looks similar in size to double uni but I'll give it a try.

Just now, Rob A said:

Have never used a blood knot.  Looked it up and looks similar in size to double uni but I'll give it a try.

it has never failed, even in the mono only days. funny, i never did a uni. blood is smooth, uni looks good to.

the hardest part is figuring how much backing you want don't want.

hence the OP. 

10 mins ago, Rob A said:

You don't use any backing?  I've had reels in the past I filled with all braid and the line slipped on reel.  

No, no backing.  I attach the braid with an arbor knot then cover it with a few wraps of electrical tape.  that braid/backing knot is a liability.

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Looking over the knots suggested, I think the FG looks like it has the slimmest profile.  Might try that knot and see how it goes.  Do you guys find it matters where the knot falls on the reel?  When spooling up I can have knot fall in center of spool or to one side or other.  Anyone find that this matters?

2 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

No, no backing.  I attach the braid with an arbor knot then cover it with a few wraps of electrical tape.  that braid/backing knot is a liability.

That's a good idea.  I like the idea of not having a knot at all.  Only thing is that's a lot of braid.  When you cut down eventually you would have to replace whole line.   

Try this, carefully strip off the braid untill the knot is exposed, take about 6-8in of line in one hand and the same of braid in the other and in sort of sawing motion apply downward pressure and burry the knot below the surface. This should eliminate your issue untill you encounter a good drag puller, then repeat. Braid direct to spool will slip/spin. Next refill instead of 50/50 fill do 60/40 as well as try other knots.