2008 Kia Spectra clutch problem

Rate this topic

The clutch in mine went out as was coming off the Interstate last weekend. I shifted to first and went to second when I felt something give. This was around 10 o'clock so there wasn't a lot of traffic and I was able to do a u-turn and get back on the interstate. I drove in second gear for awhile  but knocked it out of gear accidentally and was able to put it in fourth. I barely made it back home. 

There was fluid on top of the tranny so I think the clutch slave cylinder went out (at least I hope it did). I bought a new one but I couldn't see a match from looking at it from above. I'm going to take the driver side front tire off and try to get a better idea of whether i got it right or not. 

Opinions...ideas?

The Bucks stop here...

Hopefully yours is outside transmission. Some manufacturers put the slave cylinder inside the bell housing. If it's inside, the tranny must come out. Also if it's inside, fluid probably dripped all over the clutch disk and at minimum the disk has to be replaced. Best practice though is to replace the pressure plate and bearings if everything got soaked.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

On 6/20/2024 at 8:16 AM, cleatis said:

Could be the line as well. 

The lines look OK. I got a slave cylinder cause they were pretty cheap. There was fluid on top of the tranny when I got home. I was gonna let a local repair shop do the job but the last 2 times I took a vehicle there he charged me over $1,000.00 each time.

I parked the car at the front of my driveway when I got it home. I thought I could just push it up to where I want to work on it by myself but I couldn't budge it.  I had a friend come over and help and I had to keep turning the key over to get it where I wanted it. Pretty weird.

I'll jack it up and start tearing it apart this week. The engine is also leaking oil from somewhere but I want to run the car into the ground before I junk it. It has almost 300,000 mileson it.

The Bucks stop here...

On 6/20/2024 at 5:22 AM, Bergallmaster said:

Hopefully yours is outside transmission. Some manufacturers put the slave cylinder inside the bell housing. If it's inside, the tranny must come out. Also if it's inside, fluid probably dripped all over the clutch disk and at minimum the disk has to be replaced. Best practice though is to replace the pressure plate and bearings if everything got soaked.

I know what you're talking about. My Ford Ranger had the internal slave cylinder but the Kia Spectra has it on top of the tranny.

The Bucks stop here...

It might just be out of fluid.

Fill it with brake fluid, and see what happens.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard