Striped Bass Weight Formula

Rate this topic

SC

Has anyone PERSONALLY checked certified weighed fish against "the formula"? My very limited personal testing has shown "the formula" gives a substantially higher "weight" than a certified scale, up to several pounds more. I compared 4 bass. Two bass were weighed on the Narragansett Surfcasters certified club scale. One bass was weighed on the Striper Surf Club certified club scale. I was not a member of either club. One bass was weighed at Twin Maples on Block Island using their certified tackle shop scale. All 4 bass were measured using a Stanley metal tape measure placed underneath and measured from the tip of the snout to the fork in the tail. Girth was measured using a tailors measuring tape pulled snug but not enough to distort the belly. The tailors tape measure was compared with the Stanley to confirm accuracy.

I think the formula is inaccurate and I think most are using a tailors measuring tape placed over and against the fish. This adds "weight" at approximately 3.5 - 4lbs per inch with the contour measuring technique adding length. Measure total length instead of fork length and every fish is a 50.

So does anyone have any personal, first hand comparisons?

Reading something a thousand times doesn't make it true.

7 mins ago, SC said:

Has anyone PERSONALLY checked certified weighed fish against "the formula"? My very limited personal testing has shown "the formula" gives a substantially higher "weight" than a certified scale, up to several pounds more. I compared 4 bass. Two bass were weighed on the Narragansett Surfcasters certified club scale. One bass was weighed on the Striper Surf Club certified club scale. I was not a member of either club. One bass was weighed at Twin Maples on Block Island using their certified tackle shop scale. All 4 bass were measured using a Stanley metal tape measure placed underneath and measured from the tip of the snout to the fork in the tail. Girth was measured using a tailors measuring tape pulled snug but not enough to distort the belly. The tailors tape measure was compared with the Stanley to confirm accuracy.

I think the formula is inaccurate and I think most are using a tailors measuring tape placed over and against the fish. This adds "weight" at approximately 3.5 - 4lbs per inch with the contour measuring technique adding length. Measure total length instead of fork length and every fish is a 50.

So does anyone have any personal, first hand comparisons?

Reading something a thousand times doesn't make it true.

Who cares. The real mark of a mature bass is length. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

I have not weighed a fish and compared it to the formula.  I would assume that the charts that i've seen were based on the formula.  I think over the years fish have gotten skinner in general. All the charts that I have seen used to say 40' fish were 25#s, yet when I have weighed a 40' fish, they would all be closer to 20 - 22#s. My last 2 falls seem to have fatter fish than previously though.

The formula should get you within 2 to 4 lbs. on either side of the length measurement+ formula.

My old digital scale proved this.

The digital scale also proved that with length that most fish fell in the “average” weight.

Haven’t weighed  a fish in many years.

Don’t have experience with a “certified” scale at all but I’m certain that a regular scale or Boga will be off as well.

In any case, if I landed a 70” Bass the last thing I would do is kill it for a certified weight or hang it from any scale.

Also keep in mind the “girth” is not a true measurement either as a fish can have a bloated belly w/o 6-8 pounds of bunker in it’s stomach.

1986, 87  I worked for a taxidermist. we did more then a few 30 to 60 lb fish. think 68 was the biggest. most were frozen  but quite a few fresh. they were always " weighed and measured" before they were brought in.i learned very quickly not to trust anyone with weight or measure, we checked on our own scale. I tried the "formula" probably 10 or 15 times on fish , it was always over actual  and I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

In my opinion you're better off just getting a length measurement and having a reference "fat, normal, skinny" weight associated with each length.

I weighed about 35 bass over the years, taking (total) length measurements for comparison. The method was to lay the tape over the bass from snout to tip of tail, without pinching the tail. The results were, the formula for weight was W = 0.365*L^3/1000, where L is the total length in inches. From this, an average 40 inch is 23 lbs. An average 45 inch is 33 lbs. An average 50 inch is 45.6 lbs. To get 50 lbs, you need 51.6 inches total length which is pretty close to the well-known relationship "50 inch fork length = 50 lbs."

Of course fat/skinny go over or under the formula, but not usually by more than 2 lbs in either direction. The fattest bass I ever caught and weighed was 45 inches, 35 lbs.

Weights.jpeg

8 hours ago, derekh said:

1986, 87  I worked for a taxidermist. we did more then a few 30 to 60 lb fish. think 68 was the biggest. most were frozen  but quite a few fresh. they were always " weighed and measured" before they were brought in.i learned very quickly not to trust anyone with weight or measure, we checked on our own scale. I tried the "formula" probably 10 or 15 times on fish , it was always over actual  and I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

Thank you for the personal, first hand experience results on a substantially larger test group. I too lost interest once I saw the pattern and stopped checking. Was glad to see someone else that has actually checked.

11 mins ago, SC said:

Thank you for the personal, first hand experience results on a substantially larger test group. I too lost interest once I saw the pattern and stopped checking. Was glad to see someone else that has actually checked.

If I remember right. there were a couple other formulas for freshwater fish that didn't work out right either.Stripers were what I was most interested in so did not pay to close attention to the length and weight of freshwater fish.
I do know when a person is paying buy the inch they become much more interested in how to "measure" a fish . 

Over the years, I have weighed a lot of stripers both personally and professionally. For 14 years I was a "weight master" and was responsible for weighing in stripers and other species at the  Quaker lane bait and tackle shop in RI. We had a certified, digital 60 pound scale at the shop which was certified ever year by the RI Department of Weights and Measures. I weighed in many bass over the years (pre slot regulations) while at the shop up to 60 pounds. We tried the weight formula a few times to see how close it came to the actual scale weight of the fish (striper) and it was never the same. As I recall the formula weight was always a few pounds either more or less off of the scale weight. 

1 hour ago, Punch63 said:

I've always wonder why it matters to guys what a fish weights or how long it it is. Personal who give s a chit, enjoy it for the moment, and be sure the fish swims off strong

I feel this way about photos. What exactly do you do after the 50th random fish photo?