F**k this wind!

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

15mph is just too much for me to choose to paddle in. 

I was watching a youtuber that I followed the other day. He might have went out the same day we turned back on my inflatable (different area I think too). I turned back when I saw 3ft rollers at the mouth. Forecasted 10/18 gust. I knew it's borderline. But when I was at the mouth, it's easily least 20+. 

The youtuber have flipped his kayak the same day in the same condition. It's so easy to under estimate the weather until you get out there.

And F*** the wind.

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

It's so easy to under estimate the weather until you get out there

So true!  Sometimes I feel like a weenie, but I've been out on those days. I even pay $4/month for premium forecast models that are more accurate for the microclimates in the Hudson Estuary.

14 hours ago, gellfex said:

So true!  Sometimes I feel like a weenie, but I've been out on those days. I even pay $4/month for premium forecast models that are more accurate for the microclimates in the Hudson Estuary.

What forecast do you subscribe to? 

21 hours ago, gellfex said:

Holy crap it's been blowing like crazy for it seems like weeks. Damn. Even with a drift sock it would be hard to fluke in this.

Weeks? This damn wind has ruined trips for a couple of years now. My son and I were discussing it this morning.

This wind, it blows.

At the moment, it’s disgusting, even.

It’s been pretty annoying. The few moments I have to get out on the kayak in WLIS as of late are often impacted by wind. Too much chop in the bay to safely fish, IMO, and even when safety is less of a concern it’s just a PIA to be constantly fighting the wind and readjusting in a paddle yak. 

1 hour ago, surfflyguy said:

What forecast do you subscribe to? 

WindAlert. With a subscription you can choose between 10 different forecast models. Less for the free version. But the one I like most, WA-WRF, while it only goes out 36 hours I have found it way more accurate.windcap.PNG.8141d827aa4790424e9a1bf0e0c83fee.PNG

31 mins ago, Antek said:

This wind, it blows.

At the moment, it’s disgusting, even.

It’s been pretty annoying. The few moments I have to get out on the kayak in WLIS as of late are often impacted by wind. Too much chop in the bay to safely fish, IMO, and even when safety is less of a concern it’s just a PIA to be constantly fighting the wind and readjusting in a paddle yak. 

Yep. The only decent plan is to find a launch spot where the wind is coming from the land so you have it attenuated a bit and no room to build chop. One time I did this though, I hooked up Gator blue that pulled me so far from land that by the time I got it in, unhooked and on the stringer it took me a half hour to paddle back against the wind!

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

Yep. The only decent plan is to find a launch spot where the wind is coming from the land so you have it attenuated a bit and no room to build chop. One time I did this though, I hooked up Gator blue that pulled me so far from land that by the time I got it in, unhooked and on the stringer it took me a half hour to paddle back against the wind!

Yup. That’s a PIA because generally one wants to launch into the wind when not excessive so that one isn’t fighting the wind on the way back in, especially if it’s a longer trip and you’re tired by the end. 

1 hour ago, Antek said:

Yup. That’s a PIA because generally one wants to launch into the wind when not excessive so that one isn’t fighting the wind on the way back in, especially if it’s a longer trip and you’re tired by the end. 

You need to hug that windward coast rather than just paddle off. Like on the S shore of Raritan Bay it's not that hard because most of the time the wind is out of the south.  

This yearly data from Windalert is for the western Long Island Sound (NOAA chart 12367).

Data from multiple sites, and personal observation determine if I’m paddling, pushing pedals, or staying home.

IMG_4637.jpeg

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.