Cape Cod Weakfish

Rate this topic

jsto

How feasible would it be to target weakfish on the south side of Cape Cod? I have caught weakfish before on Long Island and heard rumors they may be catchable on the Cape but have never seen any even while shallow water fluking often. (They may be more targetable at night but I have never tested this)

Caught them during the day a few times targeting seabass / fluke past 2 years. I was surprised with them since I've never caught them prior. Info is that they are starting to make a come back somewhat. Occasionally caught them in MA waters now. This year isn't been a good year, only caught one short about a months ago. Can't say if it's something still can be specifically targeted.

Don't know about night fishing tho. But there is seabass bites at nights.

I got 3 of them one day last summer while fluke fishing in about 30'.  They suprised the heck out of me as the only other one I've seen was over 30 years ago and my buddy (we were both under 15 at the time) lost it at the boat.

I do expect that there are targetable numbers around and need to find/make the time to chase them.

sam

Iv'e never caught one in the sound which doesn't that they  aren't around,just in small numbers. I am striper fishing using large plugs,so that probably explains why I don't catch them.

Earlier in the year they seemed to be turning up with some consistency in Buzzard's Bay. I've read the fishing is spotty by nature, sometimes they show up, sometimes they stay offshore, sometimes they get chased off or eaten by porpoises, etc.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

They definitely run in cycles. In Raritan Bay its pretty common to run into schools of 2-3lb juveniles along the Channel edges in late summer jigging. Two years in particular where they were abundant were 1986 and 2008. 08' produced 5-6 IGFA records including the All Tackle WR

5 mins ago, XBMX said:

08' produced 5-6 IGFA records including the All Tackle WR

I set an IGFA fly rod weakfish record back around 2002 or so. There were monsters around the inside of the Hook and all the way up both rivers for two years. Never caught one outside of NJ....

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

1 hour ago, TimS said:

I set an IGFA fly rod weakfish record back around 2002 or so. There were monsters around the inside of the Hook and all the way up both rivers for two years. Never caught one outside of NJ....

i think mine is still holding, Fly Rod 20lb Tip 12lb 15oz. July 08'

WeakFish Rick.jpg

Edited by XBMX

Just now, XBMX said:

i think mine is still holding, Fly Rod 20lb Tip 12lb 15oz. Aug 08'

WeakFish Rick.jpg

Nice :clap: :clap: 

Mine were on light tippet, I submitted two - 4# and 6# tippet - I think the 4# tippet was approved but the 6# tippet, which was also Andre tournament green (which is supposed to test under the line class) over tested. And, not to be obvious, but mine were from land and boat fish don't count :stick:

;)

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Deffeniatly a much bigger accomplishment from land. My close friend's wife got the 8 12 and 16 records over the next few days. Plus one of your NJ boys set the All Tackle at 19 1/2lb at Great Kills Beach about 3/4mile inshore of our spot.

These same type  fish are called spotted trout in FL are  abundant.  I know they are not exactly the same but have all the characteristics spots/teeth jaws that tare   etc. They are rarely seen at the sizes you have caught.

13 hours ago, John P said:

These same type  fish are called spotted trout in FL are  abundant.  I know they are not exactly the same but have all the characteristics spots/teeth jaws that tare   etc. They are rarely seen at the sizes you have caught.

Yes Spotted SeaTrout are a Southern favorite. While vacationing in Myrtle Beach I caught them up to 6-7lbs on poppers. Same maker different paint job.

On 6/21/2024 at 8:55 PM, XBMX said:

Deffeniatly a much bigger accomplishment from land. My close friend's wife got the 8 12 and 16 records over the next few days. Plus one of your NJ boys set the All Tackle at 19 1/2lb at Great Kills Beach about 3/4mile inshore of our spot.

weakfish.png

It doesn't even look real.  I know Swiss, Davey and crew had been catching teener weakfish all that week.  Of course the WR goes to a guy who paid for a land based charter, although I think IGFA gave Swiss a nod in the record books. 

Edited by TimS