Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HANK

HAVING TROUBLE WITH GIBBS DANNY & BOTTLE PLUG

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

When the fishing got tuff after yesterday's morning blitz, I thought maybe those gibbs lures I just got would put at least 1 more bend in my rod before heading for work. The trouble was I couldn't get them to work correctly. I was using a duo snap & the Danny's just wouldn't bite into the water. I was fishing a very similar plug all morning (MAKITI DANNY STLE) that was working just perfect. My question is do the gibbs lures need to be tied direct, is the lure bad, or needs to be tuned up a bit? I also tried the bottle plug on the same set up & it seemed like it had no action of any kind .\t

Hank....try tuning it.....bending the eye on the plug down will make it ride higher in the water and ...conversely....bending the eye up will drive it down....try "digging" the plug in after the cast by pulling back on

the rod ...then begin normal retrieve....

wink.gif}}}><

Hank--what were the surf conditions? A danny will tumble and not dig in heavy surf. In flat water, a bottle plug needs a faster retrieve.

If the danny was just flapping on top of the water, turn the eye up, as mikey said, to get it to dig a little better. But don't expect them to have as much wiggle to them as, say, an Atom swimmer--their action is kind of subdued.

The best waters to use a bottle plug in are those where you can feel the rod tip pulsing even when you're not reeling. They're not the best choices for flat water. Also, some wooden bottle plugs just don't swim, no matter how much you try. When I say "some" I'm not referring to brands specifically, but even among plugs from the same maker. The consistency and the quality varies from plug to plug, it's the nature of wood.

[This message has been edited by Ditch Jigger (edited 11-01-2000).]

Hank, I'd have to agree with DJ, what were the sea conditions? Did they change from when you used the Makiti plug? All metal lips will not dig into a sea but swim on the surface. It could be that the plug needs to be tuned if it had no action at all. On the other hand, the bottles will dig in as long as you have some wave action and or current. If you can't feel the action at the rod tip your reeling out of time with the waves and backwash. If you can't feel the plug working, try speeding up till you do, then slow it down till you just feel it working at it's slowest speed, then try to keep that same feeling through out you whole retrive, speeding up with the waves and then slowing down as they do. Good Luck, Prospector

Thanks for the reply guys. The sea conditions were basically what we had here in jersey last couple of day's stiff northwest wind, strong current. The conditions were identical using both the makiti & the Gibbs that's the part that stumped me. The makiti was tracking just perfectly, nice slow steady side to side sway. The Gibbs was just kinda floating on the top during the retrieve even after trying to get it to bite with a sweep of the rod tip at the beginning of the retrieve. Even when I would cast it looked like a bomber that was fouled kinda floated out sideways. As far as the bottle plug goes it just skipped on the surface also with no bite. I never used a bottle before so I didn't know what to expect \t\tThanks again HANK