Jump to content

Boats passing kayaks in channel


Recommended Posts

To be up front I am a boater 95% and oly kayak fish the other 5%.  Also, this isn't a rant and I'm not trying to put anyone down or otherwise throw ****, just some thoughts on everyone helping each other enjoy time on the water.

 

My boat is moored in an area where I access open water via  achannel that is also used by a LOT of kayakers, especially during the start of black sea bass season.  I always slow down to pass as the channell is small and shallow.  One thing that I have noticed is that it would be very helpful if the kayakers would stop peddling/paddling for about 30 seconds so I could go by.  For me to make a minimal wake it I only move a little bit faster than a kayak with an experienced operator which means that I am having to slow down for quite a while to get by without being a dick.  Do folks in the kayak crowd ever consider a quick pause to let power boats pass them as quickly as possible so everyone can keep moving along at their own speed?

 

There are some obvious places where this won't work.

-big swells where you need to keep pointed up sea

-a heavily trafficked channel where letting one boat pass would just be followed by anothe boat that wants to pass

-many others I'm sure I haven't thought of

 

Thanks for reading and any thoughts.

sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 mins ago, EBHarvey said:

what are the kayaks doing in the channel in the first place?  a boat the draws an inch or two of water shouldn't be clogging up a busy channel that other boats have no choice but to stay within.

Its a very small channel that leads from a sheltered bay into more open water.  There isn't much water anywhere else from half tide or lower.  

 

sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This actually falls within USCG navigation rule 9a:

 

A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel...

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 mins ago, sams said:

Its a very small channel that leads from a sheltered bay into more open water.  There isn't much water anywhere else from half tide or lower.  

 

sam

 

you mean there's only water in the channel itself?  like, it's dry land outside of it?

I've done stuff I ain't proud of, and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sams said:

To be up front I am a boater 95% and oly kayak fish the other 5%.  Also, this isn't a rant and I'm not trying to put anyone down or otherwise throw ****, just some thoughts on everyone helping each other enjoy time on the water.

 

My boat is moored in an area where I access open water via  achannel that is also used by a LOT of kayakers, especially during the start of black sea bass season.  I always slow down to pass as the channell is small and shallow.  One thing that I have noticed is that it would be very helpful if the kayakers would stop peddling/paddling for about 30 seconds so I could go by.  For me to make a minimal wake it I only move a little bit faster than a kayak with an experienced operator which means that I am having to slow down for quite a while to get by without being a dick.  Do folks in the kayak crowd ever consider a quick pause to let power boats pass them as quickly as possible so everyone can keep moving along at their own speed?

 

There are some obvious places where this won't work.

-big swells where you need to keep pointed up sea

-a heavily trafficked channel where letting one boat pass would just be followed by anothe boat that wants to pass

-many others I'm sure I haven't thought of

 

Thanks for reading and any thoughts.

sam

I'm not sure I understand the premise. Are you suggesting the kayakers should more or less "pull over" to let you pass? Is it that narrow of a channel? Also, is it not a no-wake zone?  We have a couple of spots that sound similar, and I more or less try to stay off to the side a bit, but I've never given thought to stopping altogether as I'm not really sure what that would accomplish. 

 

Edit: Reading it again, I think you're saying the speed necessary to overtake some kayaks would cause a wake that could bother them? That's never really been my experience (unnecessary speed, sure, but not a few knots faster). 

Edited by drmevo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This channel is used to access the rock pile that OTW told everyone about in Buzzards Bay.  This should clarify where I am talking about to some folks on here.

 

The channel is flanked by a spit of sand on one side and a flat on the other.  There is no place to be where my wake won't affect the kayakers.  

 

I'm suggesting that instead of me taking a couple of minutes to pass someone going 3-4kts while I am going by at 6-7kts (I'm pushing a big wake after that speed) that the kayaks stop forward movement for 15-20 seconds and then we all go along our merry way.  That way I'm a nice guy and slow down, their are nice folks and let me get by as quickly as possible so we can all get where we are going with minimal impact on each other.

 

sam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a kayaker I usually turn into a boat wake. Its the side on wakes that will get you. But I find that most boaters are sensible, especially in harbours and inlets. There is always some idiot coming in hot, oblivious to others and the wake they are generating. But thankfully these have been few and far between for me.

Edited by JRT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am 99% sure I know where Sam is talking about. The reason for so much kayak traffic here is the good BSB in past years there. The channel is 25-30 feet deep and surround but 10ft +- featureless bottom that isn't great fishing. There are some isolated rock piles that could pose a hazard to boaters but are marked with buoys. 

 

This area is marked channel, right of way goes to traffic in the channel. Kayakers are fishing the channel because the fishing is decent there (should be drifting). As with any channel, nobody should be anchored. 

 

As a kayaker, when I fish in the channel anywhere, I can't be upset with I get waked by a passing boat. Is it appreciated when people slow, yes. A boater can be responsible for his wake, but short of a 47 foot sportfisher, I haven't run into any wake I have had any issue with just turning my kayak into a wake. 

 

A responsible kayaker should be aware of the hazards of fishing there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 mins ago, sams said:

This channel is used to access the rock pile that OTW told everyone about in Buzzards Bay.  This should clarify where I am talking about to some folks on here.

 

The channel is flanked by a spit of sand on one side and a flat on the other.  There is no place to be where my wake won't affect the kayakers.  

 

I'm suggesting that instead of me taking a couple of minutes to pass someone going 3-4kts while I am going by at 6-7kts (I'm pushing a big wake after that speed) that the kayaks stop forward movement for 15-20 seconds and then we all go along our merry way.  That way I'm a nice guy and slow down, their are nice folks and let me get by as quickly as possible so we can all get where we are going with minimal impact on each other.

 

sam


I know that area. On a good day, Great spot. For the most part I think the kayakers there are friendly. Wave and have a good time. They realize they are in a channel. The rest don't really know the rules. 


On a bad day? Nobody ****ing cares. 60 kayakers taking over. If I am a boat and the flats are shallow? Oh well. Plow right thru. They will move. 
 

 

 

 

IMG_3775.gif

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I know this area well if it is the spot I think it is.  It use to be considered "busy" if they were more than a dozen yaks there.  Now there can be closer to 50 during BSB season.  There is plenty of room for kayakers to move out of the channel if someone is coming through.  No excuse not to.

 

That said, if anyone in a boat thinks he is going to plow right through, be prepared for whatever comes your way, karma can be a real bitch.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That is the area.  That spot DID have good fishing, not so much anymore.  I haven't marked a pile of fish in there for 5 years.  But, I've got plenty f other spots that still have a decent amount of fish, so I'm not going to cry about.  With the amount of preesure on BSB recently no place has as many fish as it used to.

 

 

The problem area is where folks launch off the beach and come out of the small bay along the island.  There isn't really any place for them to get out of the way, or really turn into a wake.  I'l do my best to keep y'all dry in any event, and if y'all slow ease of the pedals and let me pass it will be greatly appreciated.

 

Out by the actual rock pile is a major channel with deep water all around.  In general a wake out there should be expected and shouldn't cause much trouble unless you run way too close to a yak.  Plus it would take me half an hour to get in from there if I dropped off plane when I got to the first kayak.

 

Sam

Edited by sams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a channel like that in the manasquan river . At low tide there is no water outside the channel.

Even a paddle board or kayak can not exit the channel at low tide.  I never thought of stopping from paddling to   let a boat pass ? I dont' fish in the channel.  I pull over and get the bleep out of the way. Yes it is better to put the nose of the kayak or sup into the wake. Most boaters are respectful. I do find some

boaters pulling tubes and jets skis that are not so respectful. I think it becomes a game when they start to circle you to see who can get you to dump into the water. I try to get out early. The crazy behavior seems to start later in the day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...