What would you do if you had to extend this 100 year old chair rail?

Rate this topic

gellfex

I have a stairwell with this chair rail around part of it. I would need at least like 70 ft more to complete it. I can't imagine it's worth it to have a knife cut and custom molding run, so what's the best plan? Just get as close as I can get and call it a day? Try to assemble something close from multiple patterns? I've seen some janky mismatched molding repairs, seems a lot of the time they just punt. And pulling what's there already is asking for trouble with horsehair plaster walls, it would likely create a ton more work repairing the walls.

image.png.98ddeb903ccfa9db5ea5f714460306ea.png

26 mins ago, ted527 said:

Your house or a rental? Your house pull it down and do it right. 

Rental 3 family.  I submitted a quote request to Woodhaven, a place that does custom. I'm just afraid it's gonna come in at like $2000 for 100 ft.

Unorthodox and not traditional at all; throw in a corner block and transition to the new molding. Add a few more blocks to balance it all out.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

5 hours ago, cheech said:

Unorthodox and not traditional at all; throw in a corner block and transition to the new molding. Add a few more blocks to balance it all out.

That's a viable plan. I'd only have to pull 2 pieces 3ft long that end in the middle of the landings. I haven't even found much in 2.75", never mind one similar. If I had a symmetrical 2.75 I'd not even need the block, just cope it to the existing one. I've done that a few times with crown. 

I'd consider the handmade plan if it were a few feet for furniture, but this is more than 70'! Even my notion of finding narrower moldings to assemble something close seems unrealistic. 

4 hours ago, bass-o-matic said:

1. Replace all of it with new chair rail to match.

or 2. Make a plaster extrusion.  Coat it with epoxy for some dent resistance.

I explained why trying to pull all the existent molding is courting disaster. Destabilizing old horsehair plaster is always a terrible idea. Plaster chair rail in the stairwell of a 3 family is also a recipe for disaster! The whole reason is to defend the walls from the worst of the furniture bangs, and to create a line below which I'll paint dark to hide the schmuck marks. It looks great in this other building. That plaster korbel at left gets it's corner knocked off EVERY SINGLE MOVE!

63e97009dc5b1_prospectstairsinterior.PNG.04618ed773bf0009552d66fc0d46281f.PNG

I see you’re in NJ, there’s a guy here in CT that has numerous cutters that have been made for restoration projects such as what you are attempting maybe he could help you if it’s not too far away. Not sure if that’s a PM kind of thing, there are rules about that kind of stuff I think. Let me know. 

On 6/22/2024 at 12:38 AM, thinice said:

I see you’re in NJ, there’s a guy here in CT that has numerous cutters that have been made for restoration projects such as what you are attempting maybe he could help you if it’s not too far away. Not sure if that’s a PM kind of thing, there are rules about that kind of stuff I think. Let me know. 

Thanks! I think its OK to name a business, but not to link to a dotcom website. If you want to PM, I'd love to contact them and see.