Anyone catch any bluefish?

Rate this topic

We caught a 6-7 lb'er mid bay on peanuts yesterday, just one.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

One so far, large, around 10 lbs or better,  cost me a sluggo last week. But the way it has gone for me the last 20 years or so is I only catch a handful before September. 

We had a good early run here on the South Shoire of Long Island, with some fish breaking the 10-pound marks.  It has largely thinned out, at least in the Fire Island area, but a few, mostly smaller fish are still around.

Bluefish are no longer considered overfished, but are still in the middle of a rebuilding plan.  Hopefully, we'll see the population increase.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

For the last 19 days from May 30, have not found any blues in the traditional area on the Cape.  In the past, they usually arrived by June 8 if not sooner.  2018, 2019, 2020, same thing, dead.  That is just shore fishing or kayak if not too windy.  Have heard of reports further out on the rips. 

Worm Hatch Inspector.

I had a really good day on them with them all over 10 pounds from the yak in BB a couple weeks ago. I know this isn't RI. They were where I usually get into them for a week but only got on them once due tot the weather. They were following the pogy biomass and when they moved one, so did the blues. I imagine they are working their way up the MA coast somewhere now.

I got into them heavy for 2 days mid-may. Then they disappeared. Good class of fish 30-35”, 8-12lb range.

Found some cocktail size with occasional 10lber mixed in at the end of May through beginning week of June. 

Not much since…to be fair however, I haven’t found much of anything since then. 

Edited by Peelin' Drag

I guess I've been luckier than most. 

My clients for the year maybe caught a dozen bluefish. 

Nothing big, most in the four pound category. 

Lost a few before putting wire leaders on, all on a fly.

We've caught 'um at Block Island, Newport, Upper Bay mixed in with the micro bait. 

Nothing flies by me without a hook!
If my fly is down, That's a good thing.

Public Access.....It's a shore thing. My daily requirement of "Vitamin Sea".

Capt. Ray Stachelek