Repair the 15 year old gas grill or just buy new?

Rate this topic

This thing is 15-20 years old, was a Consumer Reports favorite, but really just a rebadged Char-Broil (it's crazy how many different brands they make!). I replaced the cast iron burners once, and the grates twice. Now there's a gas leak, I had flames coming out just above the center knob where no flames should be! It might just be the corrosion inside the cast iron burner was blocking the gas. I took it off and shook out a ton of rust. It seems they rust even though I never leave it open. Yeah, I should have covered it, but I thought the point of a stainless grill was to not have to. So, restore this or trash it? It really only gets used less than 1/2 doz times a year.  I prefer to smoke, and the wife hates running in and out tending the grill and prefers the cast iron stovetop grill. I can afford to replace this with a Weber, but I hate wastefulness. 

image.png.4c25094b0d83e3fde31cf254d0afd83e.png

10 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Time for new. 

And consumer reports is trash. 

Yeah, I came to that conclusion too. That they still recommend anything Samsung is scandalous.

6 mins ago, SB59 said:

Put an elec. hotplate in the bottom and a pot of wood chips and you've got a stainless smoker. 

I started smoking in there with one burner and a 6" cast iron skillet with chips. Now I have a Masterbuilt 30" cabinet smoker I'm pretty happy with. 

Posted (edited)
16 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Can you still get the parts that it needs?

That is your save or scrap question.

Probably. The nice thing about Char-Broil making half the grills out there under a variety of names is there's a lot of aftermarket parts like the CI burners and grates I've bought. But if it costs $300 for a new set of controls and gas lines, that's not a good investment. 

Edited by gellfex

Just now, gellfex said:

Probably. The nice thing about Char-Broil making half the grills out there under a variety of names is there's a lot of aftermarket parts like the CI burners and grates I've bought. 

Made in china cheap crap parts the don't fit and don't last?

Posted (edited)
9 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

Made in china cheap crap parts the don't fit and don't last?

Well, the original fits that description too. Where are Webers made? I'd be shocked if they were USA.

EDIT: I guess it depends on your deifnition of "made": Weber grills are designed and engineered in the USA, incorporating globally sourced parts.

Edited by gellfex