Montauk inshore six-pack, late September

Rate this topic

Top Hook (Capt. Steve Witthuhn) wouldn't be a bad choice.  He's a good generalist captain, who will try to get you a variety, including striped bass, porties, fluke, black sea bass and bluefish if they're around.

Good personality, too.  Not like some of the captains, who act like they're doing you a favor taking you out.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

20 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

There’s lots of great captains out there .. it all depends on how ya wanna fish .. some guys will snap wire mostly or slow troll tube worms , others will jig or fly fish or light tackle etc.. so it depends on what ya want to do 

Good points.  I like to throw artificials if target species and conditions allow.  Bait is fine.  Trolling is a last resort, though sometimes needed.

If that's helpful to know, please give an suggestions that come to mind.  Thanks.

Yea I got no suggestions sorry . I haven’t take a charter out there in 20 years plus but we always used sea wife 4 back then . I pretty sure he still out there doing it . But it was def more montauk jigging wire and off shore trips with him .. 

id call different charters and talk to the captains and see what they specialize  in .. 

and yea September should be albies all over there .. 

On 6/17/2024 at 1:51 PM, CWitek said:

Top Hook (Capt. Steve Witthuhn) wouldn't be a bad choice.  He's a good generalist captain, who will try to get you a variety, including striped bass, porties, fluke, black sea bass and bluefish if they're around.

Good personality, too.  Not like some of the captains, who act like they're doing you a favor taking you out.

I second this. Captain Steve is awesome

• 2 weeks later...