Penn Authority.. anybody using it ?

Rate this topic

Busanga

• Busanga changed the title to Penn Authority.. anybody using it ?

I believe these ended up being a monumental failure from Penn. My local tackle shop hasn’t sold a single one yet. Don’t think you’ll be hearing too much about them, really sucks since I grew up using only Penn reels.

For that price you can get a Daiwa Certate which is made in japan and has been proven over the years. Penn scrapped their American made battleship of a reel, the Torque, which in my experience is pretty much indestructible, and came out with this lackluster piece of junk. Should've just kept the Torque going in smaller numbers, some guys go nuts for them. 

2 mins ago, Jefffahfffah said:

For that price you can get a Daiwa Certate which is made in japan and has been proven over the years. Penn scrapped their American made battleship of a reel, the Torque, which in my experience is pretty much indestructible, and came out with this lackluster piece of junk. Should've just kept the Torque going in smaller numbers, some guys go nuts for them. 

This is the reason @Busanga. They’re now competing with VR and Visser with a unproven unsealed reel. Pick up the slammer if you want a trustworthy Penn 

I did a tear down on here titled “Penn authority quick tear down/features” if you search for it. I’ve been fishing the smaller ones on and off for the last year. The issues I had with them were related to the cheap clutch slipping when around 40 degrees and a strange gear interference noise that I eventually figured out.  The noise was a un-chamfered oscillating gear idler interfering with the un-chamfered teeth on the oscillation gear.  They have been solid reels since the fix but. Like others have said tough to compete at $500. I’d go Visser gen3 if you are looking for a good casting modern fully sealed reel. 

Pure fishing took the Torque off the market to protect the Van Staal brand and price point. It was the best spinning reel Penn ever made. The slammer 4 is better than the authority. I bought my buddies slammer 3 8500 when he had to have an authority. We use it tarpon fishing and sailfishing from kayaks. So far he hadn't had any problems with it but can't tell the difference between it and the slammer he sold me.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

I do like the Torque. I have been wanting a Gen 1 of it for a while as I have a Gen 2 and like collecting. I've felt the Authority, its smooth and supposedly more waterproof than the torque (my only complaint with the torque). It is sad though that now that the Authority is likely made overseas, and that instead of that Aluminum frame that surfcasters love, they went with their weird Penn Metal. You guys know what I mean. Definitely doesn't have the same feeling as fishing a Torque.

I fished with my buddy's.

It's an incredibly smooth and solid reel. Probably as well made as anything else in that price-point.

Trouble is, I'm guessing, that folks don't usually dish out that much cash for something with 'Penn' on it. The Torque was a US made exception, perhaps.

Regardless, I think that if you have the money and want a superb reel and don't mind it to be from Penn, then you can't go wrong with the Authority.

My buddy fishes his pretty hard, and absolutely loves it.

Penn Reels in general (Torque aside). Always seem very heavy to me. I can never get passed the weight of them when compared to shimano and daiwa.   Waterproof is a different story, im talking boat reels 

8 hours ago, Sherpah said:

Penn Reels in general (Torque aside). Always seem very heavy to me. I can never get passed the weight of them when compared to shimano and daiwa.   Waterproof is a different story, im talking boat reels 

I felt they’ve balanced fairly well on some older school surf rods back when I used to own way more Penn reels. Now there’s 9’ and 10’ surf rods as thin and light as inshore rods leading the demands to shift towards lighter and smoother shimano and daiwa reels

7 hours ago, HYB_Living said:

I felt they’ve balanced fairly well on some older school surf rods back when I used to own way more Penn reels. Now there’s 9’ and 10’ surf rods as thin and light as inshore rods leading the demands to shift towards lighter and smoother shimano and daiwa reels

This is a great point.  The newer rods are so light these days it changes everything in terms of balance.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:21 PM, Jefffahfffah said:

Yes ..... but .... they didn't sell.