Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grandmaster Angler

Do you apply to your fishing lure special movements?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Do you apply to your fishing lure special movements?

Or just recover of the line ...

Type:

Crankbaits

Spoons

Top Water

Jigs

Flies

Your favorite...

GMA

------------------

"The Goddesses will not subtract from the years allotted to the life of each man, those hours that he devoted to fishing".

[This message has been edited by Grandmaster Angler (edited 08-27-2001).]

Which type of plug?

Almost all plugs get some special type of movement. The action may differ by conditions and type.

There are days, I mean slow days, when I feel I'm just recovering the line but in general I "try" to give the lure a movement.

Consider that 90% of my fishing is top water, so it's hell of a lot of work to keep those poppers up and splashing and those Pencils zig-zagging or whatever they do or even walking some dogs here and there. Too long to post a whole "retrieveng manual", even my own basic one but I'd like to drop my 2c here: when retrieveing a popper, I work my rod up and down taking advantage of both movements to play the lure. Basically you reel in the line just to recover the slack and save a lot of energy because you distribute your effort more even. I'm not sure whether I expressed myself decently, maybe this sounds just stooopid to some of you, I'd like to show you....well that's even more complicated ! Anyway, maybe it would be tough to explain in italian as well (and here's very late at night), I count on everybody's outstanding inteligence.

Ciao

Caranx smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Good question. Some things get a lot of action (the pencil popper; I'm being educated to them by the rest of the board) and some things don't - bucktail jigs I most retrieve at a steady rate. Surface plugs in general, whether swimmers or poppers, I play with; subsurface plugs I usually retrieve at a pretty consistent rate (mostly slow, or slower).

Fishing with plugs I seem to have much more sucess with a slow and steady retrieve. Jigs can be sucessful with any kind of retrieve, fast and steady for blues, slow and steady for stripers, and jig and pause for weakfish. I believe the presentation of any lure is #1 above shape, size, or color in any fishing circumstances.

[This message has been edited by BridgeBoy (edited 08-27-2001).]

Does everybody else swim a bucktail as well? I always bounce it along the bottom, then take it off when I don't catch fish right away. I will give it a try next time I tie one on.

Diamond jigs - bounce them along the bottom, but I'm in a boat, so I am at a higher angle then you surf guys.

With topwater poppers, the, twich, twich, pause works good in calmer water.

I usually just swim flies, that seems to work good.

------------------

Jim

Potomac River

Newburg, MD

I add some action to almost every lure at some point. In general, like Brian, the lures that get the least additional action are bucktails and jigs. When fishing bucktails and jigs in current, I like to swim or sweep them...but just to keep the fish on their toes, I'll force feed them once in a while with a little hop or flutter - drive's 'em crazy! smile.gif Just a quick pop with the rod tip when the jigs is swimmin...usually waaay down current, just before it turns from a drift to a drag up current. In fly fishing, it's called a Leisnring (sp) Lift. I call it "torturin' 'em" smile.gif

With plugs, I rarely just cast and crank...I will almost always add a little dancin' to the retrieve...the fish seem to like this as many of my hits come immediately after a twitch.

Poppers - well they demand some dancin' on your part, nothing else keeps 'em on top!

TimS

As others have said, I fish jigs cross current steady retrieve. When using them in the surf with no current I'll bounce and retrieve (seems to work for fluke).

Bombers in calm ocean or moderate current, I've had best luck with just keeping the slack out of the line.

DaveK

At times yes at times no. Most of the time yes.

A very effective action when sweeping jigs is to quick drop the rod tip. Sort of a reverse jig. It makes the lure dive or at least dip.

Even though I usually pop, twitch, jig, sweep, rip or whatever, when I am fishing deep in a heavy current so that most of my line is under water, I wonder how much of all of that actually reaches the lure. When fishing current I think a much more effective method is to retrieve the lure through places where the current itself activates the lure. Putting that plug or jig in a place where it is going to get pushed this way and that will make it act much more like a baitfish than anything I can do with the rod and reel.

[This message has been edited by Plug (edited 08-28-2001).]

The current. It is obvious that for certain lures is of great help when it comes to turn iron, feathers and plastic into the "real thing". Here in the Med we don't have swells, current near shore is pretty slow and to work artificial like jigs we have to be a bit more creative and use lighter items, you see, it changes all the time. The jig thing, well I'm an absolute beginner with it, and getting more and more confident, I begin to catch some fish with those either with hair or plastic, being the latter an oportunity I think I have lost for a long time. Bottong Jigging, for me is one of the most productive way of catching fish, but this is another story.

I'm afraid this a very complicate thread, maybe we should generate some sub-threads and develope them individually....

Ciao

Caranx smile.gif

Jigging.. I have to say this is the most difficult thing for me, and it should probably be the easiest. I find it easier to have a stout rod when jigging 1.5 oz and up. I usually bounce the jig as if it were dancing along the bottom. At least that's what I think is happening. Sweeping the jig or steadily retrieving it? I never thought to do that because in my mind I envision the jig, nose down on the bottom dragging in the sand. I will definitely be trying to improve in this area as I am pretty much fishing some pretty good moving water lately. I have only fished swimmers and poppers lately. With swimmers I generally use a steady retrieve as slow as possible.. In the rip, sometimes just letting it sit there.. Usually produces fish.. Man I have a lot to learn!!

ErikT read.gif

[This message has been edited by ErikT (edited 08-28-2001).]

You sure do Erik,and your not gonna learn by going to met games and playing softball.biggrin.gif

------------------

KDOGG

"Throwin the metal"