Follow up to my ‘new Tacoma truck’ thread from Feb

Rate this topic

So, I never had to use the 4 wheel drive function since I bought this truck in feb. To recap, it’s a 2023 truck, technically bought used from the dealer, but only had 1200 miles on it (now has 3400 miles). 
A co worker and fellow Tacoma owner suggested that I should use/test the 4WD function occasionally when not used for a long period of time. Mentioned was that I should only do this in wet road conditions, and the truck has to be moving (but slower than 30 mph) when engaging 4WD. The rationale was to keep the gears well lubricated.

Any truth to this?

Yes. I do it all the time and just told my son the other day he should do it with his 4runner, too. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

I don't know if it's technically true, but I was told decades ago that it was a good idea. For exactly the reasons you described.

I've owned many 4wds and even going back to the locking hub days. I would lock the hubs, engage in 4wd high and low range, and drive a short distance.  I own a  2004 Tacoma double cab with 207,000 miles and never had any mechanical problems.  A bad frame, but nothing mechanical.:laugh:

The Sultan of Sluggo

16 mins ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Yes

Agreed. I test mine all the time. I love my Taco. 

Yes I do Taco baby!!! Yes I do!!! Kisses!!

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

Just now, albacized said:

Do you test it in only wet conditions or dry as well?

Don't do it in dry conditions. When you turn in 4wd, the outside tire needs to slip. It won't slip in dry conditions and could **** things up. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

I did it one time coming out of a dirt road onto asphalt, forgot to take it out of 4wd. It was like the outside wheel was skipping or jumping. lol

Stopped and realized what it was quickly. 

30 mins ago, MikeMc said:

Don't do it in dry conditions. When you turn in 4wd, the outside tire needs to slip. It won't slip in dry conditions and could **** things up. 

Damn, I'm 63 and have owned 4 X 4's since 1998 and always run them through 4 high and 4 low at least every other month. I never knew about only doing it on wet roads. It makes absolute sense. I always did it at slow speeds and felt the binding, skipping and hopping thinking that was normal. The only time I ever used 4 X 4 in the real world was when on snow, ice, off road on loose gravel or when pulling a boat up the ramp or pulling stumps. Thanks. I guess you're never to old to learn something new.   Jim

48 mins ago, Slack Tidings said:

Mostly when turning - exercise the 4wd in dry conditions on long straight roads….or off road.

That's all I do. Straight road, engage the Hi. Run it for 100 yards, turn it off. I do the Low in my driveway and roll back and forth. I have never needed 4 Low though. If I do, I did something bad lol. 

"The toothless, braindead, *********, geriatric mouthbreathers around here love their "safe space". It is the only place in the world where they feel like winners, the gracious thing to do, would be to let them enjoy their delusional reality."

-Numbnuts

2 mins ago, Mokes said:

That's all I do. Straight road, engage the Hi. Run it for 100 yards, turn it off. I do the Low in my driveway and roll back and forth. I have never needed 4 Low though. If I do, I did something bad lol. 

You're not using your truck to it's fullest if you've never needed 4lo, you giant pusse!!