Any car dealers or salesmen out there

Rate this topic

bob_G

It looks like I'm heading down that long, lonely, rocky road of a bad new car purchase.

The car's my wife's 2020 Hyundai Tucson.  All signs point to a common Hyundai problem, a bad motor.  It has 51,000 miles, but began using oil @ 40,000 miles.

The motor has been meticulously maintained. It came with three (3) years of free synthetic oil changes, which I did at 5000 mile intervals. Religiously.  Hyundai made me fight for each and every one.

During the last two oil changes it consumed 2-3 quarts between oil changes.  I called the dealership yesterday and spoke with my salesman to voice my intentions.  I explained I want to get the ball rolling, and get out of this car.  He agreed that's there's a problem, and wants to talk in person. Told him I feel like I'm back in high school. Driving around with extra quarts of oil in my car because I'm driving an old junker.

I guess what I'm looking for is input, past experiences, possible outcomes.

I realize the salesman is in no position to make or finalize a deal. Any buyout or deal would have to come from corporate.

I have some experience with this. About 20 years old I bought my wife a new Saab that came with a bad front end. That rendered the car undrivable at highway speeds.  After a 7 month  rock fight, I involved the Attorney General's office and they kicked ass.

I'm hoping I won't need to go down that road again, because that can be a long, and arduous one.

Any suggestions?

The Sultan of Sluggo

6 mins ago, Rocky_Point_Charlie said:

I take it that Hyundai doesn’t have the 100,000 mile warranty anymore. 

Forget the salesman. You want to speak to the GM of the dealership. 

Yes, they still promote the 10 year, 100,000 mile drive train warranty. That's really the only reason anyone buys a Hyundai.

One suggestion was, if it gets to the point where they rebuild the present motor, they'll extend the warranty from 100,000 to 150,000 miles.  I already said I'll pass.

The GM and I have a history.  He's a total wimp. He and I locked horns over the free oil changes.  He tried to weasel out of them. I got the Toyota dealership across the road (same owner) to change the oil on my Hyundai and back charge Hyundai.  The GM told me that by doing that, I completely humiliated him.  I doubt he'll be if much help.

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

It looks like I'm heading down that long, lonely, rocky road of a bad new car purchase.

The car's my wife's 2020 Hyundai Tucson.  All signs point to a common Hyundai problem, a bad motor.  It has 51,000 miles, but began using oil @ 40,000 miles.

The motor has been meticulously maintained. It came with three (3) years of free synthetic oil changes, which I did at 5000 mile intervals. Religiously.  Hyundai made me fight for each and every one.

During the last two oil changes it consumed 2-3 quarts between oil changes.  I called the dealership yesterday and spoke with my salesman to voice my intentions.  I explained I want to get the ball rolling, and get out of this car.  He agreed that's there's a problem, and wants to talk in person. Told him I feel like I'm back in high school. Driving around with extra quarts of oil in my car because I'm driving an old junker.

I guess what I'm looking for is input, past experiences, possible outcomes.

I realize the salesman is in no position to make or finalize a deal. Any buyout or deal would have to come from corporate.

I have some experience with this. About 20 years old I bought my wife a new Saab that came with a bad front end. That rendered the car undrivable at highway speeds.  After a 7 month  rock fight, I involved the Attorney General's office and they kicked ass.

I'm hoping I won't need to go down that road again, because that can be a long, and arduous one.

Any suggestions?

Gas , match. Lighter.

All I got also. I have read numerous threads on your experience with that car. Is it one of the models the local talent steal ( sorry, borrow ) ?

If so park in a colorful adventurous area and leave window down.

4 mins ago, FHB 2 said:

Gas , match. Lighter.

All I got also. I have read numerous threads on your experience with that car. Is it one of the models the local talent steal ( sorry, borrow ) ?

If so park in a colorful adventurous area and leave window down.

I think the local talent needs to set their sights a bit higher.:laugh:  Despite the fact we like the car, it's a piece of crap.  Why would anyone risk getting a record for grand theft auto for stealing a Hyundai? What, for some sort of gang initiation?

The Sultan of Sluggo

1 min ago, bob_G said:

I think the local talent needs to set their sights a bit higher.:laugh:  Despite the fact we like the car, it's a piece of crap.  Why would anyone risk getting a record for grand theft auto for stealing a Hyundai? What, for some sort of gang initiation?

I watch local Philadelphia news, it doesn’t seem to make a difference, and I was only trying to take the lighter side. I personally don’t know where you found the patience to still be dealing with the situation. I have read the previous posts. 
Emergency brake work? Neutral, hill, no E Brake and off to the race it goes.

NJ has Lemon Laws, and I can’t say it would be taken care of, but no way would I still be dealing with it.

2 hours ago, redfishkiller said:

My new Chevrolet uses 2 or 3 quarts between oil changes, they say that's normal, that's all I got

Lol GM been claiming this for 2 decades now. Started with the AFM/DoD engines that would shoot oil directly into the combustion chamber when shutting down cylinders leading to fouled spark plugs and eventual bricked engines. Claimed it was resolved in 2018/19 with new Dynamic Fuel Management but yet the old "acceptable" oil consumption rules still apply. Lifelong Chevy guy but this is what caused me to get away from the GM brand. Still have my 06 Monte LS4 for though. Offering $400 to anyone who wants to come take it off my hands. Don't lowball me, I know what I have. :laugh:

9 hours ago, bob_G said:

Any suggestions?

Forget the salesman, and forget the dealership.

Deal only with corporate.

Join Facebook groups to see what others are experiencing.

What is you end goal?

Fix it or trade it?

If it is to trade it, get online quotes from Carmax and Carvana, if they are close, just unload it.

Edited by woowoo2

4 hours ago, woowoo2 said:

Join Facebook groups to see what others are experiencing.

What is you end goal?

Fix it or trade it?

I think my best arrangement would be for them to buy me out of this car.  This particular engine has a high rate of failure, all beginning with excessive oil consumption.

I still have 18 payments left. Trading to another manufacturer would clearly get me the worst deal.  I'm sure they already know about these engines.  I checked out Toyota, and they know all about it. 

So my best deal would come from Hyundai. I'll give Hyundai an opportunity to resolve this, in a manner that's favorable to me.  If not, I'll call the Attorney General's office, and file a complaint. Those are very effective, but can takes couple months.

The Sultan of Sluggo

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

I think my best arrangement would be for them to buy me out of this car.  This particular engine has a high rate of failure, all beginning with excessive oil consumption.

Chances are they will want to fix it, or take it on trade for another Hyundai.

Check the facebook groups, get a value from Kelly Blue Book, and get an offer from CarMax.

4 mins ago, woowoo2 said:

Chances are they will want to fix it, or take it on trade for another Hyundai.

They already tried that, and I declined. Wanted me to trade it in towards a new, more expensive model.

They still won't admit there's a problem. I did their mandatory "1000 mile oil consumption test".  The car used a half quart of oil in a 1000 miles.  Hyundai says that's within normal factory limits. 

I said 1/2 quart per 1000 miles equates to 2.5 quarts per 5000 miles.  The car hold 5 quarts. So essentially I lose half my oil between oil changes.  I mean, this is grade school math.

The Sultan of Sluggo