Lexa-HD 400HS-P help, please

Rate this topic

mike1010

While disassembling the levelwind on this reel, two small, plastic pieces that I had not seen fell onto the bench. They seem to be keys 24 (RET) and 25 (WORM SHAFT WASHER) in the schematic See attached pictures. I have not been able to figure out how to reinstall them. Can anybody help? Thanks.

--Mike

20240614_122330.jpg

20240614_122449.jpg

1 hour ago, slicedcornbread said:

Need a clearer pic of those two parts in order to give a good answer. Especially that smaller part #24. All I see is a solid round black object.

Thanks for the reply.  Your request for a better picture caused me to go back and look again.  Maybe I've got it figured out.  #25 is a bushing for the worm-gear end that goes into the non-handle side of the frame.  #24 is the e-clip to hold the worm-gear, not the little flat piece of plastic in the picture.  As far as I can tell, that is just a piece of waste from the bushing that found its way into the reel in the factory.  If you have another idea, I would be happy to hear it.  Thanks again.

--Mike

bushing.jpg

ret.jpg

39 mins ago, mike1010 said:

Thanks for the reply.  Your request for a better picture caused me to go back and look again.  Maybe I've got it figured out.  #25 is a bushing for the worm-gear end that goes into the non-handle side of the frame.  #24 is the e-clip to hold the worm-gear, not the little flat piece of plastic in the picture.  As far as I can tell, that is just a piece of waste from the bushing that found its way into the reel in the factory.  If you have another idea, I would be happy to hear it.  Thanks again.

--Mike

bushing.jpg

ret.jpg

That flat round thing,,,I found something similar where the bearing on the frame side of the reel sits on the end of the drive gear,the flat thing was in the hole and the bearing that is on the end of the drive gear goes in the bearing,not sure if that's it but,it was thin,black and flat.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

17 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

That flat round thing,,,I found something similar where the bearing on the frame side of the reel sits on the end of the drive gear,the flat thing was in the hole and the bearing that is on the end of the drive gear goes in the bearing,not sure if that's it but,it was thin,black and flat.

HH

Thanks.  That possibility occurred to me, but on this model of reel the levelwind has no blind hole that could receive the flat, round thing.

18 hours ago, slicedcornbread said:

It seems as though the two pieces you have mate to each other and you're missing the E Clip that holds them onto the shaft.

Thanks.  I've got the e-clip.  It holds the worm gear in the washer/bushing, but there's no way for the flat, round thing to get into that act.  There's no blind hole in the levelwind to take that thing, and so the "scrap" theory is the best I've got.  It wouldn't be the first time I found manufacturing crud inside a reel.

2 mins ago, mike1010 said:

Thanks.  I've got the e-clip.  It holds the worm gear in the washer/bushing, but there's no way for the flat, round thing to get into that act.  There's no blind hole in the levelwind to take that thing, and so the "scrap" theory is the best I've got.  It wouldn't be the first time I found manufacturing crud inside a reel.

I just might need to open my reel to see what's going on here. :headscratch:

7 mins ago, slicedcornbread said:

I just might need to open my reel to see what's going on here. :headscratch:

If you've got one of these reels, that would be ideal.  This question is specific to that model.  Thanks.

30 mins ago, mike1010 said:

Thanks.  That possibility occurred to me, but on this model of reel the levelwind has no blind hole that could receive the flat, round thing.

I'm sorry my mistake,the round thing I'm talking about is s no part of the level wind,the main stem sits on a bearing,the bearing goes into a hole on the frame and the flat thing goes in first then the bearing and stem sit on top of that.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I'm sorry my mistake,the round thing I'm talking about is s no part of the level wind,the main stem sits on a bearing,the bearing goes into a hole on the frame and the flat thing goes in first then the bearing and stem sit on top of that.

HH

No harm, no foul.

20 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

I just read this more carefully, and see that I misunderstood at first.  Unfortunately, this is still not the answer, because I have not disturbed that bearing.  Thanks, though.

55 mins ago, mike1010 said:

I just read this more carefully, and see that I misunderstood at first.  Unfortunately, this is still not the answer, because I have not disturbed that bearing.  Thanks, though.

Okay,since it was opened you should at least give it a drop of oil or a pat of grease.

Just saying since you had it open.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

On 6/15/2024 at 3:11 PM, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Okay,since it was opened you should at least give it a drop of oil or a pat of grease.

Just saying since you had it open.

HH

Absolutely.  This exercise is me going through a badly neglected reel for a buddy, to get it fishable.  He's on a budget, so no parts are being replaced.  Good thing, because there are some bearings that don't want to be coaxed out.

19 mins ago, mike1010 said:

Absolutely.  This exercise is me going through a badly neglected reel for a buddy, to get it fishable.  He's on a budget, so no parts are being replaced.  Good thing, because there are some bearings that don't want to be coaxed out.

Oh,I see now,that sheds a ton of light on some questions I had but wasn't gonna ask.

I def was wondering why you pulled the levewind apart.

I took Alan Tani's advice on doing his pretrip prep on them reels prior to getting them wet.

8 years old now and just as they were new.

HH