Jump to content

Anyone fished "private water" in Livingston/Bozeman, Missoula or near Glacier NP?

Rate this topic


flyangler

Recommended Posts

We arrive in Livingston early next week for a week and I am trying to plan out a couple of fishing expeditions. I have never fished the spring creeks and will likely find them all booked but will make those calls today. I plan to get in at least two floats in the areas in the title, particularly Missoula where I have fished five times in the past. 

 

That said, I do like doing walk & wade. I will do some DIY but always think it more efficient to shorten the learning curve and hiring local experience. Yeah, costs $$$ but YOLO

 

One of the Livingston outfitters, Montana Angler, lists "private waters" as a possibility. I have done similar in the past and have always enjoyed the experience of smaller water and unpressured fish. 

 

Anyone have other suggestions? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, our Livingston site is the Yellowstone Edge RV Park which is directly on the bank of the river. I don't know what the topography might be along those banks but there have to be some trout right there. 

 

image.png.cafbd44536c2b6a43a7d7e9142e947cf.png

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depuys is awesome. What a great way to spend the day.  Highly recommend. If you’re near Livingston why not just head into the park and fish for the day?  Would probably take you a couple of hours to get to but Lamar valley and the different creeks in the area is just amazing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ifsteve said:

Of course a day on one of the spring creeks would be fantastic. But for my money I'd call Yellowstone Angler and book a day on a private stillwater. KICK BUTT!

So I called around today to shops in both Bozeman as well as Livingston. Synopsis:

 

Most guides are booked up (duh)


Yellowstone has just created and likely won’t be fishable next week. Can’t be floated and wading is impossible. 
 

Most tribs will also be blown out. AND, rain or snow early in the week. 
 

Only floatable water will be the Madison, likely lower river. That’s more than a bit of a haul from Livingston and, as the only floatable water, will likely be packed with boats. 
 

One shop did say they were in negotiation on some private water and I might be able to be their guinea pig. She will call me back on Monday. 
 

And someone mentioned stillwater and I dismissed it but now might need to rethink this. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ryc72 said:

Depuys is awesome. What a great way to spend the day.  Highly recommend. If you’re near Livingston why not just head into the park and fish for the day?  Would probably take you a couple of hours to get to but Lamar valley and the different creeks in the area is just amazing. 

There is one rod available on DePuy’s for Wednesday and I tried calling today but couldn’t get to anyone. Will try tomorrow.
 

Only issue is I will be going alone as I can’t find an available guide thus far. So do I really want to fish some of the most technical water in the West without guidance? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, flyangler said:

BTW, our Livingston site is the Yellowstone Edge RV Park which is directly on the bank of the river. I don't know what the topography might be along those banks but there have to be some trout right there. 

 

image.png.cafbd44536c2b6a43a7d7e9142e947cf.png

Oh, and if the river is as blown out as they say, I am not doing much fishing at the campground. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m currently on a national park/forest tour out that way myself. (Currently at the Grand Canyon) All the low land water ways I saw up that way this past week are blown out, snow is still melting… Bighorn and Wasatch NF were a mess regarding runoff. Did see some guys fishing “up in” Yellowstone.
 

Hope ya find some fishable water and good luck. None of my rods have made it out of the tube yet. Maybe when I make it to CO next week. Not holding my breath tho…

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, flyangler said:

There is one rod available on DePuy’s for Wednesday and I tried calling today but couldn’t get to anyone. Will try tomorrow.
 

Only issue is I will be going alone as I can’t find an available guide thus far. So do I really want to fish some of the most technical water in the West without guidance? 

I fished DePuy’s ,years ago without a guide. You should have no problem spotting fish on your own. Yes, it can be a bit technical but that was part of the fun of it. I caught plenty of fish and that was the first and only time I’ve fished there. It’s a beautiful fishery. Just go for it on your own.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Phil K said:

I fished DePuy’s ,years ago without a guide. You should have no problem spotting fish on your own. Yes, it can be a bit technical but that was part of the fun of it. I caught plenty of fish and that was the first and only time I’ve fished there. It’s a beautiful fishery. Just go for it on your own.

 

I spoke to Daryl earlier and I am booked for Wednesday. Going solo so will be a learning experience. Thanks for the encouraging words. 
 

 

 

Edited by flyangler

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Inshore said:

I’m currently on a national park/forest tour out that way myself. (Currently at the Grand Canyon) All the low land water ways I saw up that way this past week are blown out, snow is still melting… Bighorn and Wasatch NF were a mess regarding runoff. Did see some guys fishing “up in” Yellowstone.
 

Hope ya find some fishable water and good luck. None of my rods have made it out of the tube yet. Maybe when I make it to CO next week. Not holding my breath tho…

I cancelled the reservation I made for floating the Madison. Shop neglected to tell me that the meeting spot with the guide was 1:40 minute drive from where we are staying. No bueno. Maybe an oversight but that should have been mentioned. Floating conditions will be better in Missoula. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 mins ago, flyangler said:

I spoke to Daryl earlier and I am booked for Tuesday. Going solo so will be a learning experience. Thanks for the encouraging words. 

I was there in October so any hatches this time of year should be different. I had good results with small flies. #18-20 scuds, brassy type nymphs etc. little beetles 16-18 worked well. You’ll probably learn as much on your own as you would with a guide. 
Have fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Hank11 said:

Go ahead and sign up for the lake fishing. Should not be blown out and should be big fish. It’s a little like hunting at the zoo but you will likely have a good day. 

Candidly, I have only lake fished for trout once and that was on a loch in Ireland. Gille rowed us around while I dragged a wet fly behind the boat. Produced a few good fish but I felt bad when he would dispatch them with a “priest” and toss the fish in a creel “for the table”. This was 20+ years ago before they started practicing C&R. 

 

Anyway, I just spoke to Yellowstone Angler again and booked something for Friday. Might be lakes, they have access to two private waters. Might be a stretch of private running water. Could be a little of both. Will know more on Monday. 
 

Thanks. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 mins ago, Phil K said:

I was there in October so any hatches this time of year should be different. I had good results with small flies. #18-20 scuds, brassy type nymphs etc. little beetles 16-18 worked well. You’ll probably learn as much on your own as you would with a guide. 
Have fun.

Guy at YA said nothing bigger than 18 and thin ripper. I will likely use my #4 unless the wind is up. 
 

Did you carry one or two rods with different setups? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...