Thinkin'.......................

Rate this topic

That maybe the reason we shorebound guys ain't catching much. It's got to do with all the big bait offshore. Over the years I've noticed that when big bait is plentiful the stripers get into a three day cycle. They'll feed hard for a day then head into the inshore areas and loaf around. They all full and don't feed. This pattern can hold for weeks. Only thing to do is hope for weather to disrupt the cycle. 

Factor into that the depleted stocks of fish and iffy is the word as to the fishing. The only thing I found that gives some decent chances at getting fish when in this cycle is to fish the two hours of false dawn. This time is at the end of the night darkness prior to dawn. Currently thats from 0300 to 0500 !:)

8 hours ago, Mainiac said:
8 hours ago, Mainiac said:

That maybe the reason we shorebound guys ain't catching much. It's got to do with all the big bait offshore. Over the years I've noticed that when big bait is plentiful the stripers get into a three day cycle. They'll feed hard for a day then head into the inshore areas and loaf around. They all full and don't feed. This pattern can hold for weeks. Only thing to do is hope for weather to disrupt the cycle. 

Factor into that the depleted stocks of fish and iffy is the word as to the fishing. The only thing I found that gives some decent chances at getting fish when in this cycle is to fish the two hours of false dawn. This time is at the end of the night darkness prior to dawn. Currently thats from 0300 to 0500 !:)

Nice analysis! I always over-think everything and your on point observation and conclusions never occurred to me. I know of a backwater spot where bigguns float into a tidal creek around mid-morning with a dropping tide. They spend the next few hours gliding in and out of a dark, deep hole like a bunch of mopes. Never even looked at any lure I threw. Then suddenly, for no reason I could imagine, the sleepy stripers suddenly woke up and raced for open ocean when the tide turned around. Never could figure out what was going on. What you said makes lots of sense. Now I think I know the rest of the story.

Edited by petespeak

Great input Mainiac.  

I fish Casco Bay near Yarmouth from a boat and I can tell you that I saw one small group of stripers feasting on Pogies in Casco Bay yesterday at noon-ish.   The water boiled and a small pod of pogies frantically tried to get away from stripers near the top of the water.  I know they were pogies as a blue heron swooped down during the excitement and scooped up one for lunch.   And I was able to catch one striper (28" to 30" ish) during the frenzy.  This certainly backs up your theory.

We also saw a few fish on mud flats chasing tiny bait in less than 2-feet of water.  Terns were crashing the same spot.  Caught one striper (28"ish) sight fishing on an black clouser twitched accross the mud... cool to watch him go tail up to eat the fly.  I think i could have caught more using the same technique but the tide was dropping and I was only in 1.6 feet of water so i decided to get out so that i didnt have to spend a couple hours eating lunch on the mud flats.

I owe all my success with the black clouser to your posts as it is my go-to and seems to be good most all times of year.  I fish it with many different types of retrieve (fast like bait or twitched on bottom to mimic a crab, lobster, shrimp).  I tie mine sparse with a decent amount of red crystal flash which seems to work well for me. 

My friend and I ended up with 6 fish caught from 5:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m... way slower than I had hoped for but it was very windy and that is just fishing some days. 

Guys who fish with bait (pogies and macs) say they are easy to catch right now which gives backup to your idea also.

Tight Lines. 

One thing I don't understand is why there is no big fish feeding on all the pogies inshore. The other day my boat was surrounded by a school so big, there was fish 360 degrees around the boat. But no stripers. Only once this year I saw a big tail in the middle of the school of pogies with the water boiling, it was too late for me to get there, the stripers were gone.